How to disassemble blower motor? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » How to disassemble blower motor? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, 18 February, 2018 - 09:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,

I need change the seal on my blower motors. But I can not remove the rotating part from the shaft.

I remove the screw from shaft, but it does not go down anyway.

Thank you for any tip.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, 18 February, 2018 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

Because the fan has been on the shaft for 40++ years it has "frozen". First put some penetrating oil on the shaft/fan join, then hit the end of the shaft with a light hammer to give a shock along the shaft which may break the join.

Then try heating the collar with a small blow-lamp (everone should have one). The expansion may do the trick.

Alan D.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Sunday, 18 February, 2018 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The cage will distort easily. Try the heat and penetrating fluid etc first.

Can I suggest a cut in the seal and some sealant would be safer method.

If the motor squeals now would be the time to lubricate the bushes.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 714
Posted on Sunday, 18 February, 2018 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

Be very careful using hammers around shafts.

If you hit too hard you could distort the end of the shaft and the collar will never slide off the end.

The three little rubber shock absorber bolts are standard items. I ordered mine from Grainger as I recall.

Once you have the fan off the shaft, the motor comes apart easily.

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2018 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much! I will try.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2018 - 02:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

you know there is a grub screw holding the fan on the shaft.......
I know it is obvious but sometimes the obvious needs to be stated....

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2018 - 03:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar

Stefan mentioned in his first post that he had removed the screw.

Whenever I am confronted with this type of problem I will spend a couple of days treating the joint with regular doses of release fluid. It has worked for me several times. This process is no use if you are in a hurry to get the car back on the road, but for the Rolls, most of us are not on a time schedule.

When I reconditioned my motors and ducts, I blanked off the aperture to the passenger compartment so I I could still use the car, minus the heater.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, 24 February, 2018 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

Here are some pics of the rubber isolators I bought.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, 02 March, 2018 - 07:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK guys, I took both my ventilator fans apart and cleaned and serviced them a while back.

I am afraid I can't help Stefan because I do not remember having any difficulty when disassembling them.

What I do remember is noticing the direction that the impellers were rotating and thinking they were rotating in the wrong direction since the angle of the blades on centrifugal fans should rotate such that they "fling" the air out - or backward curved blades.

The Rolls has forward curved blades, that logic says would try and scoop air inwards - ie work against itself.

I tried reversing the polarity but- surprise -it did not work as efficiently, so has not been connected wrongly over these past 45 years!! I then did some research and came across the attached diagram and webpage. - interesting....

Anyone have any comments or explanation-it would be interesting to understand the physics of it.

The diagrams show that faster rotating blades need more backward leaning blades?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: