Crank seal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Crank seal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, 21 January, 2018 - 01:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
I am getting a serious drip from the rear crank seal on SRH 17968. I will be pulling the gearbox and replacing the seal, which I think is actually an o-ring, and following the manual to do this.
I was just wondering if anyone has been through this and has any pointers that might make for lighter work.
Thanks as always.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Sunday, 21 January, 2018 - 03:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car is 17668 and does not has a seal as such.
it has a scroll seal which is a thread which flings the oil back in to the engine, these don't wear.

oil leaking from the scroll usually means blocked engine breather.

Or red oil is leaking from the torque convertor seal

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Sunday, 21 January, 2018 - 04:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car has always had a few drips after a run when I first had the car, cleaned the flame trap with no improvement so I then ran the oil level slightly below the full mark on the dip stick and all ok since.
Often thought if it was possible for the oil thrower to be loose on the crank?

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, 21 January, 2018 - 07:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Guys.
Whilst researching my options, I read that Flying Spares say:

Up until 1979 the oil in the sump was retained by a thrower around the front and rear of the crankshaft. These throwers typically become "sludged" up allowing oil to bypass the thrower. On the later B Series engines (from VIN 39628 approx) an oil seal was fitted to the front and rear crank covers.
We have developed a kit UE7488KIT that allows the later type seal to be fitted to earlier engines.

So my options are:
1. Check flame trap! - I am suspicious that I am all of a sudden getting a leak from both the front and back, so you bothy may be right in that it might be crankcase pressure. Where is the flame trap?(sorry just being lazy not looking it up)
If the flame trap is OK, then:
2. Remove the thrower and clean it of the sludge? Will this work, has anyone had experience of this?
3. Buy the upgrade kit from Flying Spares (over £500!!)
Hmmm still thinking - any suggestions would be welcome.
Ta

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, 21 January, 2018 - 08:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found where the flame trap is!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Sunday, 21 January, 2018 - 08:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The flame trap is located in the breather pipe that is attached to the side of the oil filler housing.
This may help.
PIX showing no 21.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, 21 January, 2018 - 09:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent, thank you Patrick.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 913
Posted on Sunday, 21 January, 2018 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick I think you should change or clean the filter at the flame trap de sludge the sump and keep your oil level lower than the max mark as Patrick L suggested, I have also done this operation a couple of years ago, and this is the way it was designed to operate.

Richard.

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 22 January, 2018 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you're experiencing drops of red fluid at the front of the gearbox it will likely be ATF. The gearbox will fill up with ATF after a run due to drainback of the torque converter and any seals that are old may weep as well. The TC holds alot of fluid. The front gearbox seal is an easy fix. Pull the front pump, new seal and off you go. The front leak is quite common as well as the tailpiece.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, 22 January, 2018 - 03:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you everybody.
Robert(s!)- Definitely engine oil.
Richard and Patrick, I will follow your advice thanks.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, 23 January, 2018 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The scroll on Cloud/ Shadow always had a drip of oil because once the crank had stopped turning, any oil in the area of scroll was able just to drip. Had an owner that used to reverse car out of garage (1973 model) and use parquet flooring as table tennis top to play with his children. As one would, he put on white sports trousers to play and consequently got spots of oil from rear crank seal on his knees. Had all sorts of issues with Crewe and ultimately the fix was a lip seal kit as the scroll ALWAYS leaves a small drip when engine stopped. The breather is supposed to be cleaned on a "C"/ 24,000 mile service which is every 2 years. Most were not!!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Tuesday, 23 January, 2018 - 02:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Strange that RR never lowered the dip stick level with an update.
Not as though the sump had a limited amount of oil!.
maybe they had reservations with the oil pump gear drive?
When I park up as well I place a jack under the rear tow bar and lift the rear slightly due to the weight of the LPG tank, any oil in the scroll runs forward back to the sump, will test on a full sump.
Some cars do look low on the rear when parked when the pressure has lowered in the rams.
Engine oil leak from the rear could be worse then maybe.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, 23 January, 2018 - 08:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Followed Richard (gracias amigo) and Patrick's advice - problem solved.
Thank you again to our Gurus.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, 24 January, 2018 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You could always fit a little incontinence bag, similar to what they use for horses

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, 24 January, 2018 - 09:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"You could always fit a little incontinence bag, similar to what they use for horses"

That would'nt be Sir Henry's solution, I'm sure.

Alan D.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, 31 January, 2018 - 06:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A couple of questions on this matter please. Are the scroll seals accessible by taking the sump pan off? Maybe to just blow them through with some compressed air. Has anyone done this?
And if they are, to remove the sump, can I just remove the crossmember, remove and replace the sump, then replace the crossmember?
Thanks

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Wednesday, 31 January, 2018 - 08:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, Yes the scroll can be removed with the sump off.
The sub frame could be dropped but just maybe the engine could be lifted enough to remove the sump.
However as for blowing out the scrolls IMO it would be to late as the carbon build up within the scrolls would point to a clapped out engine.

I have wondered in a perfect world without the tappet cover, rocker covers sealed etc, not letting air into the crank case what the crank case depression should be as I believe this may be the real cause.
One day when time permits I may run the level on the full mark and due some checks and tests.
Unless someone has already done the above.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Wednesday, 31 January, 2018 - 04:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And not forgetting the removal of the auto box, torque converter for removal of the scroll.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, 31 January, 2018 - 07:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Section e5 of the shadow w/shop manual intimates that sump can be removed without dropping subframe (although I have never done it this way) but as Patrick says to remove scroll, auto box/convertor and plate must be removed as well. it is doable!

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, 01 February, 2018 - 03:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was just wondering if the scroll(s) can be accessed to be cleaned by dropping the sump only. Can they be reached from below to be blown out with some carb cleaner and an air gun?
Does anyone have any pics of the engine from below with the sump off?
Asking the impossible again......!
Ta

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Thursday, 01 February, 2018 - 05:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, with the sump removed to gain access to the scroll with a blow gun is impossible due to the oil flinger situated at the rear of the crankshaft covering the scroll housing.
Tother side is the flexi plate adaptor bolted to the crankshaft covering the scroll.
Better to run a lower oil level in the sump IMO.
Still think a low crank case depression may have some bearing on the prob.

Strange that the front crank type seal seems to always be ok.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: