Lower Heater Temp Flap Actuator 1975 ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Lower Heater Temp Flap Actuator 1975 Shadow LRD20648 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Jensen
Frequent User
Username: carl_jensen

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 07:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello. Does anyone know what the switch is for on this lower temperature flap actuator? It is wired into the #4 connector on the actuator motor and is turned on/off as the spindle(?) goes around when the unit is operating. I can't tell if it is working correctly and don't see this mentioned in the service manual. Thanks, Carl Jensen.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 07:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can you post a photo of what it is you're asking about.

Cheers.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 09:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those tell the motor how far to go. Power is applied to one of them, and each of them has a gap at a certain place, and the motor runs until it hits that gap.

Carl Jensen
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 01:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul and Jeff. Don't know why, but I am having trouble posting the picture. Sorry.

Jeff, thanks for solving the mystery. The actuator does not appear to be stopping so I will try another actuator, check the switch, etc. I really appreciate your comment.

Carl

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 09:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Carl,

If you take the plug off you will probably find that there is feed to two terminals.

It will never stop in that case.

You need to check the tiny diodes at the bottom of the fuse box and also check that no other actuator is seized or stuck because whatever it is operating is seized. (heater tap, flap, Suction throttling valve. etc) You can pull the connectors off the other actuators and see if the one you're working on stops.

Check the connectors are correctly fitted on the heater switches. (if you think they have been disturbed)

As you saw - even with one correct feed, the other terminals become live whilst the motor is turning. So if one is jammed other wires will get a feed when it isn't supposed to.

Can't remember off the top of my head which is paired to lower temp flap but a wiring diagram should help.

I put check diodes first because they are easy and fail.

It's a great system when it's working well.

If you get squealing mice you can lubricate the bushes. . . if you can get the actuators off of course!

Have fun :D

Carl Jensen
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, 06 February, 2018 - 04:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The repairs are pretty much complete, and what a saga. It appears that one of the female connections to the heater/ac switch (acu) was not snug so I had to take a tiny screwdriver and slightly bend the female contacts so they would seat more securely on the male contacts. Another problem was that the lower temperature flap was off its hinges so I had to remove the heater matrix and control box to fix that. Then I saw that the heater matrix had some tiny leaks so that is being repaired.

All diodes were good although I had previously missed seeing the diode on the back of the heater/ac switch and the diode that was by the lower temperature actuator. Then I found a couple of very weak actuators elsewhere in the system.

Thank goodness I am retired and had the time to really go through the system. And thanks again to Paul and Jeff for your helpful advice.

Carl

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Tuesday, 06 February, 2018 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Carl. Nothing like doing a quick 10 min job on a a RR is there!! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: