Weep holes in engine block Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Weep holes in engine block « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 58.84.114.219
Posted on Sunday, 08 May, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I have gradually been cleaning my engine of the accumulated dried oil and dirt etc and have now exposed the weep holes.

I have read in previous threads various comments about these as well as the suggestion by some enthusiasts to block them off.

I am still uncertain of their purpose. I understand if oil leaks out it is a warning that something is warn in the oil system and if coolent leaks out then something is worn in the cooling system.

Could someone with the appropriate knowledge please explain the ramifications of these two differing leaks.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you search this site, you will find that this topic has already been covered comprehensively. Bill Coburn will answer as well I am sure due to recent successes in the matter.

The first liner seal to leak is usually the lower one, the oil o-ring.

Oil leaks are really only a nuisance. It shows that the lower seal is defective and letting oil pass from the crankcase. If oil comes out, you may block the hole with silicone RTV, or very neatly with grubscrews as already described by our experts elsewhere. Never block a weep hole which is not leaking oil as you may destroy the good seals.

The only other alternative is a motor rebuild.

If coolant leaks (ie the mid liner o-ring leaks), there is no alternative to an immediate motor rebuild.

RT.

Nigel Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 58.84.121.118
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2005 - 09:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard. I did try quite a few search headings but unfortunately I am not completely familiar with terminology and so was not very successful.

The holes have continued to remain clean of oil so I am gradually working my way up the engine. Its not very comfortable lying under the car with a waterblaster trying to clear away years of dried oil and road gunk. I still haven't got it absolutely clear up behind the accumulators. I shall have to make a small ramp so I can at least direct the waterblaster where I want it to clean.

I still have no understanding of why these weep holes exist other than to warn you that something is worn.

Moderator's Comment

Hi Nigel, isn't it about time you registered as a user to save me some work ? Please!

Bill Coburn did some very comprehensive posts on the weep holes and I suggest you search the forum as below starting with the "Search" button under UTILITIES in the LHS menu:

1. Tick "search by keyword"
2. Insert "Bill Coburn" in SEARCH FOR box.
3. Select "and" in KEYWORD OPTIONS box.
4. Select "whole words only" in MATCH METHOD box.
5. Select "case insensitive" in MATCH CASE box.
6. Select "names of authors" in LOOK IN box.
7. Click on "Perform Search" at bottom of page.

3 pages of references should come up and barring any posts by Bill between now and when you do the search; go to item 28 on page 2 "Silver Shadow Oil Leak - Please Help" and all will be revealed.

Kind regards
David

(Message edited by david_gore on May 12, 2005)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 754
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2005 - 05:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quick explanation.

The weep hole is essential for the survival of the motor unless an oil O-ring seal leaks.

Without a weep hole, the cavity would be sealed. With gas at temperatures between -30C and +110C, and at various altitudes, there would be significant pressures and vacuums in there to destroy the O-ring liner seals.

Once a lower (oil) O-Ring leaks, it is safe to block its weep hole as the cavity will be at crankcase pressure at all times: atmospheric, or a slight vacuum when running.

If you block a weep hole which is not leaking, pressures and vacuums are likely to destroy the lower coolant seal, requiring an engine rebuild.

RT.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2005 - 07:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel/

To clean that muck off requires simple bloody hard work. You use degreaser which David Gore tells me discolours aluminium but I haven't seen this happen yet. I soak and scrape with a collection of spatulas. The muck you have is very probably from the rocker cover gaskets. Some use cork replacements I always lash out and but the premium neoprene items with bonded washers under the holding down nuts and there will be no more problem. I have a T2 at the moment with both rear lower wishbone inner rubber bushings absolutely rotten and all that is from oil from the tell tale holes. For the moment I am too lazy to pull the accumulators, the starter and the exhaust pipes to do them all but for RHD cars the 'B' bank (LH) is the easiest. The remaining oil leak is at the front between the top and bottom of the timing case cover. That has to be fixed if leaking lest you lose your front engine mount.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

The discolouring degreaser I am referring to is the stuff that you buy in pressure packs or $20 for 4 litres at your discount store - you can always pick it as it has a warning on the label about not using it on light alloy/white metal items.

I swear by kerosene, spray it on, let soak for 20 mins, spray on some more and hose off with water. Works a treat but leaves a mess on the ground so doing it on the front driveway is not conducive to domestic harmony.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well David,

I have just got a can of the stuff in from the garage and there is no mention of discolouration or prohibition on particular metals. The product is 'Mototech' Degreaser two dollars something a can. For me to use kero requires seting up compressed air hoses filling the gun etc. And the overspray settles on everything around me including me. These little darlings you pick up squirt and then scrape etc. A tip by the way to preserve some semblance of domestic decor, get yourself a very large 2" deep tray in aluminium. It should just fit between the wheels and be half the length of the car. The muck all goes there then you can ask the partner to help you tip the thing into the oil drum you collect your nasties in! I have doctored a nozzle from one of these cans which are available from Autopro and which I buy in case lots. This nozzle gives a strong jet which can degrease the rear side of the scrotum of a passing gnat which is handy for blasting those spots that half the time you can't even get the brush in. I almost drowned the Phantom VI in this stuff and the crankcase looks better than new!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 764
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

I assume that you block the weep holes off either temporarily or permanently beforehand. I wouldn't like to get kerosene on the liner seals, let alone a harsh degreaser.

RT.

Nigel Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 58.84.127.121
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
Did exactly as you suggested and got matches 0 of 0. I have learnt however that it may help to refine my search though I admit to not understanding some of your search data such as 'case sensitive' etc. Previously I have simply gone to search and typed in my topic then hit search.
I shall hit the register button as you suggest. I certainly had no knowledge that I was creating extra work for you, and apologise.
Regards
Nigel Ralph

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, 16 May, 2005 - 04:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

My instructions refer to the box under "Search by Keyword" using the options going down the page but before your get to the "Search by Date" box.

You are not really overloading me with work - it is just that I think you have been around long enough to post direct without needing approval - just a vote of confidence from me.