Detroit coupling mystery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Detroit coupling mystery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 04:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,

I have always regularly checked the oil levels in the Detroit couplings in my Shadow 2 at least once a year and corrected the oil levels when required. They have never needed more than a few mls. of oil.

When checked recently, there was very little oil in either of the couplings and when I removed the differential filler plug, the diff oil level was higher than it should be as oil poured out. The level was correct last time it was checked. There are no oil leaks from the drive shafts or diff.

My question is why has the oil decided to migrate into the diff after so many years and what is the likely cause? The only suggestion I have is that perhaps the diff. breather in the top of the diff housing has become blocked and a vacuum is drawing the oil through the centre bores of the drive shafts.

Does this sound likely? Any thoughts on the likely cause gratefully received.

Kind regards,
Chris
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Friday, 08 December, 2017 - 09:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like it could be the breather.

Clean top up oils and see how it goes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: