Shadow running cold Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Shadow running cold « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Constantine
Experienced User
Username: theo

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 09:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1980 shadow runs cold even though I replaced the thermostat? any ideas please

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Temperature sensor may not be working properly. A laser thermometer is a handy tool to check engine temperature and then decide if the readings you're getting on the gauge are correct.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 05:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Transmitter next George. Is it going up at all? Try f
Earthing the sender wire to see if it goes up to max.

Cheers, Paul.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

does the heater work properly

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

George, you may be able to fit a Landrover temp sender to your car as a check on the gauge. This will give a slightly high gauge reading if the engine is running at normal temperature. It worked on my 1983 Mulsanne. These senders are about £5 in the UK, and will prove the original sender is faulty before you purchase a new correct one at £40+ .

The Landrover part is Bearmach BR2117. Check this looks identical to the original before fitting.

Mark

George Constantine
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, 01 January, 2018 - 02:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all
Thank you all for your input. I've replaced the thermostat again and the engine seems to run at normal temperature.
The heater works erratically. The top part of the car is warming up as it should but the lower part sends out cold air and the A/C pipe freezes up. The red and blue controls do not seem to make any difference?

Martyn Grattage
Experienced User
Username: martyngrattage

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, 01 January, 2018 - 08:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi George just an FYI..I bought a Vicii multimeter recently for a couple of hundred dollars and it has a temperature sensor included with it. Fluke and others have this aswell

I was sure that It wouldn’t work butt it’s great on ac vents and sensors and radiator.

I have never used a laser thermometer

Let me know if you want the model number.

Martyn

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 01 January, 2018 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can probably rent the ACU test gear from FS and it will give you some direction where the problem lies. Take the guess work out of the equation.

George Constantine
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, 07 January, 2018 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The blue and red dials do not seem to work when setting the temperature, all I'm getting is constant hot air coming from the top part of the car and cold air in the footwell this cannot be adjusted either way? Thanks

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Sunday, 07 January, 2018 - 02:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi George,

If you run the car up to temperature , put the switch onto low (Or pull a wire off rack blower motor so you can hear what is going on)

Now listen as you turn the dials one at a time slowly between hot and cold.

Can you hear servo motors moving each time you move them?

If you wiggle each one can you hear the servos whirring back and forth?

Could the outside temperature sensors have got unplugged during paintwork? Behind the right rear bumper on yours I think.

Otherwise it may be servo boards or servo unit faulty .

Under the radio centre console is a removable carpeted cover.

George Constantine
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 16 January, 2018 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul, I will try and do the tests you mention and let you know the results

Many thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: