Wires and sensor I accidentally damag... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Wires and sensor I accidentally damaged during vacuum pipe replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martyn Grattage
Experienced User
Username: martyngrattage

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 09:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I have been heavy handed while I was replacing the vacuum pipes

I knocked one wire off a sensor but it happened for a reason - the wire insulation itself along its length is not good.

I am actually happy with my work so far.

So I am ok with wiring generally and am happy to have a go at joining

I don’t know what this sensor is so I can determine its impact whether it will run without it.

Also ideally I would like to be able to buy the new connectors if possible.

So what is it and any advice on how to make a temporary fix and a proper long term fix.

Thanks
Martyn

Martyn Grattage
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thought I had cracked adding pictures

Try again

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 407
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 05:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi martyn, try low resolution pic 640x 480 max OK
Mike

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 06:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The maximum pixel resolution that this forum will accept is 640x640 square. If you have higher resolution photos in one of the now more common 3:2 formats (e.g. 1024x768 at the very lowest end) then you need to reduce them to attach them here.

You also have the option of using a third-party image hosting site like imgur.com, Google Drive, or similar to host your high-resolution photos and post links to same in your messages.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2737
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 07:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

One small correction, I have successfully posted images 800 pixels wide and I have not had problems with high resolution [300dpi] images provided you set the original image resolution to 300dpi, the image size [in Photoshop at least] will increase and you then save the image before resizing. The length of the image does not affect posting from my experience so far........ someone will probably prove me wrong in the future .

The forum will accept the resized image - see my 800 pixel wide 300dpi tyre code image in the following thread:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17002/29426.html?1511605021

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 07:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

Do you know if the site works by total number of pixels? 640*640 = 409,600 or is the formula more involved. Would 1080x379 work for instance. I know I could try this myself but I was wondering if you knew offhand from previous experimentation.

Geoff

David Gore

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 07:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

We posted around the same time .

The 640px width was originally published to keep thread width narrow on standard monitor screens to avoid the nuisance of having to scroll back and forwards to read threads.

The advent of wider monitor screens in recent years has allowed the suggested width to be increased.

To the best of my knowledge, the total number of pixels is unlimited as scrolling down is not as annoying as having to scroll across the page to view text/images.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 07:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info David.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 07:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

I've just been trying this out - the largest pic I could load was 640x640. 640x641 fails.

I am wondering if you have forgotten you have administrator privileges - Not like us mere mortals lol.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 08:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

No surprise there. I've had precisely the same thing happen many times.

I had asked in the past whether we could even go to a max of 1024 square, but the answer was no.

Dealing with images for this particular forum has been a PITA for quite a while now since I cannot even find a cheap digital camera to take photos in 640x480 pixel size anymore. Having to constantly reduce photos is not fun.

I get that it may be impossible to change this, but if it isn't it seriously needs to be taken under consideration. It would be nice to be able to upload photos without having to resize them, regardless of what they were taken on, or even to have the forum software do the resizing, while maintaining aspect ratio, if that were possible.

I, too, suspect Mr. Gore has special privileges as a moderator/admin. Most of us in that particular role, regardless of the forum in question, do. It's easy to forget after a while and, conversely, it can be a PITA when you'd like to try something "as if you were a regular member" but can't do so easily.

Brian

Martyn Grattage
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 08:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From my personal perspective an issue is that you think it’s done but at the very last minute after typing text username password entering email address and waiting for ages Scrolling up and down to figure out what the heck has happened

If you can’t increase it perhaps you could put a message up as soon as the attachment is unsuitable.

As soon as you upload it you know and can’t proceed.

Rather than after waiting a good while and inputting everything

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 09:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martyn,

It will work as you describe if you use the "upload attachment" button for your images rather than the inline formatting to include an image.

I used to use the "upload attachment" button but once I became accustomed to the size limitation on images I found it much easier to use the inline image command and then to do all the selecting for upload in one fell swoop at the end.

This forum software is antiquated and no longer maintained by its creator (at least if I'm recalling correctly). It also must use some atypical storage conventions, as the search for alternate software that would allow for the existing archives to be loaded into it has proven fruitless.

Brian

Martyn Grattage
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

heres the picture hopefully

Martyn

David Gore

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 02:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK - perhaps I do have special privileges but only our Administrator can confirm or deny this privilege exists as I do not know.

To solve the problem in the short term, I am happy to receive high resolution oversize images from members by email and process them for posting on the forum. I suggest you post your text on the forum with a single line title where you want each image inserted and send me the images. I will repost the text with images as appropriate referencing the author at the top of the message.

Email to: drh14434AT[@]yahoo.com.au

If you look at the recent images provided by Jeanne Eve from the recent RREC UK Rally, this will give you an indication of what I can do as these were emailed to me as very large images [4032 x 3024 pixels]:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/695/27567.html?1498751303

As I mentioned previously, our Administrator wishes to keep our archives accessible for the future which necessitates using the original software until a solution is found for transferring the archives in a searchable format by up-to-date more user-friendly software.

David Gore

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 02:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martyn,

Please phone me the next time you wish to post images and we can go through the process together to help you get better acquainted for the procedure.

You should have my number from our previous phone conversation.

David

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 05:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

I meant my comment about us mere mortals not having administrator privileges in a very lighthearted way and did not wish to illicit your very generous offer which will potentially cause you an unacceptable increase in your workload.

I for one am grateful for the provision of these forums and for your efforts in maintaining them. I have no problem in resizing photos to help keep this valuable and free resource running.

If anyone is having trouble resizing photos, download the free jpg viewer irfanview. This viewer can resize photos and the process takes less than 10 seconds. Just choose the resize option in the image menu, enter 640 and 480 and then ctrl S to save the resized file. Job done.

I hope we can continue as before as this will help conserve the space on the server.

Geoff

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 04:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a simple way to get pictures of the correct size to post if you are using an iPhone. It will probably work with an Android too if it asks what size to send the photo. I take the photo with my iPhone camera, then select the email icon at the bottom of the picture. I email it to myself, when the phone asks me what size to send I select medium. Then when I am back in my office, I open that email and left click on the photo and save it as whatever description I want. 99% of the time the photo is automatically the correct size to post on this forum.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

David Gore

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

In no way would the time needed to undertake this work be excessive as I have had lots of practice over the years .

Another option which may help some members would be to email the images to me and I will process them to a suitable size and resolution and email them back for the member to create their post.

I value the contributions our members make to the forum and the most important responsibility for me as Moderator is to facilitate everyone's participation to keep the forum viable and useful.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 07:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quote:- Hi Martyn, the electrical component your referring to is the weakening system cut off switch. It's important to have it working or the engine may not start.

I can vouch for that after spending a most embarrassing 30 minutes at a hotel, with the bonnet up, being watched by a clutch of guests having breakfast. It started by sheer persistence, but when I got it home.....

Alan D.

David Gore

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Tuesday, 28 November, 2017 - 05:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I can vouch for that after spending a most embarrassing 30 minutes at a hotel, with the bonnet up, being watched by a clutch of guests having breakfast. It started by sheer persistence, but when I got it home..... "

In the best John Cleese mode - did you thrash the car with a big or little stick .

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, 28 November, 2017 - 07:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"In the best John Cleese mode - did you thrash the car with a big or little stick."

Neither, it was shut in the garage for a week with only a smug (always=starts-first-time) Citroen CX25GTi for company. So there.

Incidentally this car was a Spirit which was sold later to a chap in Austria who wanted a wedding hire car. I don't need two of these monsters - I can't get into the mindset of folk who have fleets of them.

Alan D.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, 28 November, 2017 - 07:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, my mindset is an" Heir and a Spare" ! Reliability has not always been their strongest virtue and we use them as daily transport .
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 02:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would love two or more Rolls'. With just one you are without an enjoyable ride when it is laid up for maintenance.

Great news in the UK on 25 May 2018 for people with classic car fleets - no more MOTs when the cars are over 40 years old - hooray!!!

Geoff - who is being deliberately controversial.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 04:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, my view abolishing MOT tests is stupidity .I have seen enough cars at shows subsequent to the 1960 exemption. I will continue to voluntarily MOT mine.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 04:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark

I have to say that common sense tells me you are right, but my experience here in the US tells me the opposite.

The only problem I ever come across, where I mutter "I wish we had MOT tests here" is on the occasion of being blinded at night by headlamps badly out of alignment.

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 05:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can see the insurance companies demanding an engineers report on the cars that do not have a currant mot before they will insure them.
This in its self will cost more than an mot.
The use of some non OEM parts that have to be modified or any mods to the car is now a must to notify them.

The MOT is a good test even if to minimum standards as it also advises on non urgent jobs that are in need attention.
Hope I don't see a two ton car out of control through this madness..............

I do agree with the rolling 40 year Road fund tax exempt rules, well I would with all my old cars here.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2526
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

We've had the discussion privately, and there's plenty of objective data to support it, that what get called state safety inspections in the USA [in the states that have them - not all do] do not seem to do a darned thing to improve safety. The statistics regarding accidents that result from lack of maintenance in states that don't have inspections don't show any statistically significant differences from those that do.

In Virginia, where I live, state safety inspections are not required for any automobile registered as an antique vehicle. Antique status is permitted (though not always sought) for cars that are 24 model years old or older.

Classic car insurance, even agreed value classic car insurance, costs so little because there are just so few losses among antique vehicle owners. They tend to take care of their cars quite well without any oversight from the government.

Brian, who used to be a big safety inspection supporter until I did my reading up on what the statistics clearly indicate

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 09:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Classic car insurance, even agreed value classic car insurance, costs so little because there are just so few losses among antique vehicle owners. They tend to take care of their cars quite well without any oversight from the government."

Watch the cost of classic insurance soar more now than it has done before 2007 in some places, with the cost of accidents and fatalities caused by some sloppy workmanship and letting things go undetected by some individuals!!!!!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: