LRK37110 Runs Again!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » LRK37110 Runs Again!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 09:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And here's the audio evidence: LRK37110 running again after a 4-year and several month nap

I managed to pop the distributor up and do the 180° rotation yesterday along with reinstalling the A-Bank plugs. I knew the B-Bank plugs were going to be the challenge, and indeed they were. What shocked me is that it was B1 that was the most hellish to get reinstalled. It simply would not start in using the dowel and flexible hose technique that worked so well with B4, 3, & 2. So I managed to contort my hands such that I managed to get it started.

The audio from my first couple of attempts to start her are not included here, but it was immediately obvious to me that she wanted to start but would not quite do so. Then, I thought, why don't you give the distributor a very slight additional clockwise (when viewed from the front of the car) turn and, voilą, she started, though not particularly gracefully (and she's still not particularly graceful for a RR).

You can hear at toward the latter part of the audio me turning the distributor slowly a bit further clockwise in several distinct cycles and the engine getting smoother and faster. [I believe, if I'm reasoning this out correctly, that would be advancing the timing.] At the moment the vacuum advance is capped off on the distributor and the vacuum line that normally attaches to it is plugged.

Now I've got to go back and review several of the related threads of the last several months to figure out which of a number of things that still need to be done should come next in the "fix that" sequence.

I imagine doing the engine timing will come first, but after that . . .

It's been a very good two days after being ill for the two days prior!

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 785
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like a great day!
My '70 model ran terribly when I got it; turned out the points dwell was about gone due to wear of the rubbing block. It really smoothed up as I turned the adjusting screw: it was amazing the difference it made.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 610
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Good news there.

Did you take it for a spin?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

No. I want to do quite a few more things that needed doing before she went in for her nap (particularly balancing the carbs) before I take her out on the road again.

Much as I'd like to hit the road, I want to make sure she's both safe and likely to make it around the block without dying first.

Brian

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very responsible of you BV. I usually don't even wait for plates!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 856
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 05:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian that's great news, is this the car you installed the Powerspark ignition kit in.

Richard.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 08:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news after 4+ years and I thought it was 2+ years, how time flies.
Get the strobe timing set up with all the intermediates and total with vac.
A good shake down with the engine before setting up the Carbs.....

h_kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, 30 October, 2017 - 02:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Happy days Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Monday, 30 October, 2017 - 06:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congrats, and well done Brian,

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, 31 October, 2017 - 04:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bravo Brian!!!
Great to hear her running.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: