New aerial Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » New aerial « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2017 - 05:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,

I bought aerial kit from Flyingspares:

http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-bentley-shadow-t1-t2-corniche-mpw/electrical/aerial-radio/aerial-kit-ud24718p.html

I mounted the antenna, and when I tried it, she pushed it up completely upright after holding the pull-out button.

I have Silver Shadow from 1972. Radio I have but it isnt connect.

The antenna does not react either up or down. Even if I connect it directly to her 12v so nothing happens.

A little embarrassing is that as she pushed up completely up now I can not get out of the garage because it's too high.

In the kit from Flyingspares there was a relay. But in the schema isnt any relay in old antenne. The kit is of course versatile for a range of cars. So I do not know if it needs to be used for our car?

I tried to measure it with the multimeter but it comes to me that there is no tension to the cable to antenna.

It stopped working the fuel selenoid too, and the current does not flow into the multimeter. Can it have any connection?

Fuses and diodes I checked.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2017 - 08:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, it's not as simple with no "radio on" live feed that your car is missing.

The aerial works with feed to one wire - aerial retracts.
Feed to both wires - aerial extends.

You need to use the down feed from the switch as the single wire feed. (retract).

You then need a relay with both outputs live when powered.
One coil terminal to earth.
Up switch live to one coil terminal and to the common switched terminal.
A wire from each of the two output terminals to each of the aerial wires. Up and down.

If you fancy being clever and have your aerial retracting automatically when you turn the car off . .. Another relay (switching)
relay coil to earth.
Ignition/accessory live to relay coil.
constant feed to relay common.
Wire from connected at rest relay terminal to aerial down wire.

First relay type is both outputs live when operated.
Second relay type is a switching relay.

Apply a feed to both wires to get the aerial down and out of the garage.
Check all fuses again. For a good contact as well.

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2017 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Paul,

and the relay to the old antenna is right in the antenna? Or where?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Sunday, 22 October, 2017 - 01:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My antenna works fine but I dont use it.

Under the car by the sill is a 16" copper rod which is insulated from the car. It works fine with MODERN radios.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Sunday, 22 October, 2017 - 02:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No relays were used in the original system - Just a switched feed from the aerial switch.

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, 22 October, 2017 - 03:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I measured it with a multimeter and my situation is.

I have manual aerial (in car is AERIAL SWITCH) - up and down.

I have from car green wire and blue wire.

If I put switch up, I have on green wire 12V.
If I put switch down, I have on blue wire 12V.
Ground is in the bracket on chassis.

But aerial kit from Flyingspares has relay, and antenna has only green and red wire.

Let me connect it anyway so I can not even pull it manually by connecting to a voltage

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Sunday, 22 October, 2017 - 05:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Connect green and red together earth the aerial metal - the aerial should raise.

Connect one of the wires to live and aerial to earth the aerial should go down. Red I think, but if that does nothing, then try just green.

This is usual. What does the instructions say about the relay provided?

John G.
Frequent User
Username: john116

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, 22 October, 2017 - 09:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My experience with the aerial from Flying Spares in my Silver Shadow II is that one wire needs permanent 12 volts, the other wire is the switched wire from the radio. The 12 volts switched from the radio makes the aerial go up, when the radio is turned off, it only has 12 volts from the permanent supply, which then allow it to retract. With your manual switched aerial, you'd need to find a way to supply 12 volts to the permanent and 'up' wire and keep that 12 volts supplied, and then to go down, you'd need to remove the switched 12 volts. Maybe Flying Spares can provide you with more instructions?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: