Stale air outlet. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Stale air outlet. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Curtis
Frequent User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 07:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was just looking through the changes to the Shadow in the Chassis Numbers Booklet, to see where a potential purchase might sit in the grand scheme of things.

I spotted that at 14087 a 'Stale air outlet' was introduced.

Is this something easily spotted externally?

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 08:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben, the stale air is extracted through grilles in parcel shelf rear trimmed finisher. The earlier cars did not have these grilles, just a trimmed finisher between rear edge of shelf and wood surround. So if open rear door and look at shelf, you can see grilles set in finisher.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 08:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben you have just reminded me of the job outstanding when I carried out the trim renovation.

The stale air is released through vents with a type of flap on the n/s o/s below the rear parcel shelf.
On mine one is missing and the other needs replacing, some folk have some types of fumes that get into the car and blame the boot seals, I have yet to find a boot seal on a Shadow that seals perfect anyway.
In most cases the the flaps are missing or need replacement.

pix of vent missing material.

pix of vent u/s cover

Ben Curtis
Frequent User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, 20 October, 2017 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, you learn something every day!

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, 20 October, 2017 - 07:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, I'm sure the SZ is the same on the parcel shelf but where does the air exit the boot?
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Friday, 20 October, 2017 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When ram air is present inside the travelling car the pressure is greater than the outside rear of the car, so the stale air go's through the vents into the boot and escapes under the boot lid [feeble imo] seals IMO.

No ram or pressure fed air with the car travelling the rear of the car has some pressure that lets fumes etc into the boot, no problem if the vent flaps do their job.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a question patrick - what are the vent flaps made of? Looks like reinforced paper - too thin to be vinyl?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: