Brakes are braking my heart - Master ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Brakes are braking my heart - Master cylinder blues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User
Username: dleedy

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know I haven’t posted for some time but I had to reach out to see if someone can come up with a solution to my dilema. My ‘75 Silver shadow went on a ghost ride down my driveway without me...long story.. and fortunately didn’t kill anyone in the process. Body damage aside, my friend and long time mechanic passed away and the new mechanic means well but is not up to snuff. The issue is that according to him I need a new master cylinder and so ordered it online where it was fairly accessible. Only problem is it doesn’t fit and mechanic says it’s he wrong part. I contacted flying spares in the UK and they showed me the picture of the one I did purchase. After digging a bit I found out it was for a shadow up to srd22129 and mine is Srd22135. I inquired if they had that master cylinder for models later than 2219 and never received a response. I am including some pics my mechanic told me to take but I really don’t know what I’m looking at? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Attached are pics from under shield in car and the master cylinder I bought which was supposed to fit 75 shadow?!
One was

Martin Taylor
Prolific User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 01:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
After advice from clever people on this forum I fitted a land rover series 2 master cylinder to my 72 Shadow, this is 3/4 and gives a much better feel than the 1/2 inch original.
However I don’t see how failure of this part would cause your runaway situation?
When parked the vehicle should be held by both the pawl in the transmission and the parking brakes on the rear wheels, these are cable operated.
Cars after the number listed on the flying spares site did not have a master cylinder, all circuits ran from the engine driven pumps etc. These numbers are not always as accurate as suggested, as mine is pre-compliant suspension yet is fitted with it.
So the flying spares master cylinder should fit, unless someone has perhaps changed it to something different in the past?
Can’t see your pictures?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 01:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

Along with Martin, I was a little confused by your entry. A ghost ride down your driveway without you implies the handbrake was off and the gear selector pushed (maybe accidentally) out of the P position.

A faulty master cylinder would make very little difference to the braking efficiency of the car. It is there purely to give "feel" when depressing the brake pedal and adds very little to the braking effort.

Could you give us some more information?

Geoff

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 02:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry for the confusion. The ghost ride was due to me putting the car in neutral and then running into the house because I forgot something. The driveway is on a hill and I looked out my front window in the house and watched it roll down backwards down the driveway, scraping my sons car and then turning on it’s own into my van. There was no brake issue, just a stupid thing I did. The car was running rough after that happened and I took it to the mechanic to tune it back up. He’a Had it a whilenand Said that the brakes were not holding pressure when he bled them and the peddle was almost all the way to the floor. He said it was an issue with the master cylinder. I’ll try to upload the pics again and rhe replacement master cylinder I bought which he said was not the right one for the car? Just wondering if there was different master cylinders for 75 shadow.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 03:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

All is now clear.

How horrific must that have been when you looked out the window of your house.

I am having the same problem as you and can't get the master cylinder to bleed properly on my 74 SY1 (SRX18501). They are notoriously difficult to bleed. I am sure I could get it to work if I persevered, however I have decided to fit a Land Rover S2 3/4" master cylinder. I have purchased one but have not yet had time to fit it.

Here's a pic of the original Girling 5/8" master cylinder on my 1974 SY1. The Land Rover substitute looks identical.

mc

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 04:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What part of the replacement master cylinder does not fit? Pipes? Bolt holes? Rod ?

Photos would probably help.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 09:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, from chassis SRH 22118, the master cylinder is deleted. In it's place is a spring with rubber cone to give conventional "feel" to the brake pedal. The pipe work/caliper piston size on rear was equalised, so that no.1 circuit feeds front caliper on fronts and one set pistons on rear. other feeds rear caliper in fronts and other set of pistons on rear as well as height control. According to your chassis no. you are post 22117- NO master cylinder. What exactyly is problem, say if spring broke, this would feel like master cylinder failure? Your pics. did not post?

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 07:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 07:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

this is the one I ordered and received.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 07:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm guessing the biggest problem may be your choice of mechanic but we will need some photos working further towards the rear of the car to confirm that.

Can you take some working back from the two valves you have shown. These are the distribution valves.

Thanks.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 07:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With no master cylinder the brake pedal often feels like you can press it to the floor whilst the car is standing still.

However if you try this whilst you are driving you will probably find that you are doing an emergency stop!!

Is there a rolling brake tester nearby?

Is the mechanic trying to bleed the brakes without the engine running?

Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: