Glove box light switch - i dont under... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Glove box light switch - i dont understand schema « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,

I got the top of the dashboard off so I solve the defects that are under it.

My glove box does not light up.

I had a permanently pressed switch.

I have this switch but he has only 1 pin.

But in scheme is 2 pin switch.

The switch boot open will work fine.

Is it possible to test the switch by means of a multimeter? He does not feel like me when he has only one pin.

Thank you.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 06:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

The switch will activate an insulated circuit by completing the circuit to the vehicle common ground connected to the battery negative terminal.

Just use the meter probes with one on the tag terminal and one on the metal ring. The switch should be closed in the state shown in your photo and open when you push the button in. This corresponds to power on when the glove box lid is open and power off when the lid is closed.

Martin Taylor
Prolific User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 06:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-Glove-Box-light-Switch/122342728462?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 06:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The switch in your hand must be firmly fitted in a hole in metal connected to the body.

The hole must be clean and free from paint, glue, rust etc to provide a good earth.

Different switches were used over the years.

Martin Taylor
Prolific User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 06:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Royce-Shadow-Glove-Box-Light-and-Switch-/302460073444?hash=item466c0675e4:g:LBwAAOSwdPBZwmy6

Paul you are quite right, here is the early one pictured.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 06:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, that is not a schematic wiring diagram.

It's one showing how the wires run into the looms and is a diagram for the first type of switch Martin found.

Confused? I'm not surprised :D

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: