Sunroof for a Silver Shadow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Sunroof for a Silver Shadow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Black
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.40.16
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would anyone have an original factory delivery steel panel sunroof fitted to a Shadow or have an illustrated detail for the side runners and air foil deflector pieces. I am trying to see who made the original roofs for Rolls Royce when they were factory ordered new so I can get the closest to it from another car like Benz or maybe an English car that used the same roof supplier. I do not want to fit the folding fabric Webasto type that many English cars had fitted to them. Thank you

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2005 - 08:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Phil,
If you email me at sunroof AT (using the standard email sign) classicbridalcarsDOTnet I will send you pictures of mine. I have not got to grips with posting pictures on this site. My camera seems to take huge pictures and my paint program does not reduce it in size enough (or operator error) Cheers Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 438
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2005 - 09:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

If you email the photos to me at the address below; I can process them and either post them direct on the Forum or return them to you for you to use in your own post. Just part of our service :

drh14434AT{@}yahoo{DOT}com{DOT}au

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 709
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you open a picture in Microsoft Photo Editor, click =Picture= =Change Size= and choose 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high. Then =File= =Save As= and choose a new new file name. Now look at its size in Windows Explorer. If it is less than 100kb it will upload. If it is still over 100kb, click =File= =Save As= then click =Attributes= and reduce the quality until it is saves at less than 100kb.

RT.

ps I can't use the conventional <command> format in a text posting as the <.and.> are already used by this forum as command protocol.

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, 24 April, 2005 - 04:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have tried those settings but the image size is still to big! To get it smaller the picture looks like a postage stamp. I will go and take the pictures now and send them to David. Do you have Broadband?

Cheers Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 710
Posted on Sunday, 24 April, 2005 - 05:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

David does not have broadband. You could always send it to me. Email me over the Forum private posting if you wish.

Please keep it to below 1MB for mailbox reasons.

RT.

Gordon Norris
Prolific User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, 24 April, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phil,
Webasto didn't just make folding fabric roofs, but also all steel types, and I think you will find they were the suppliers for the steel roofs in RR's.

I'd try and find something a bit more modern, with better spares availability, and more leakproof. In any case you'll have a big job on your hands, but anything worthwhile always is!

GN.

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2005 - 06:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

David does not have broadband. You could always send it to me. Email me over the Forum private posting if you wish.

Please keep it to below 1MB for mailbox reasons.

RT.

OOPS! Sent message already Sorry David. I will forward it on to you instead Richard. Many thanks Mark
P.S Mine is a steel sunroof, looks original. Can someone confirm once they see the pictures

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 714
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2005 - 08:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2005 - 06:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for showing my pictures Richard. Can you tell me how you did it and what settings you used? Also what program you reduced them please? Many thanks Mark

David Gore

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2005 - 06:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey,

Just because I do not have broadband doesn't mean I cannot accept large files - anything up to 10Mb is OK; I just go have a cuppa or do something else while the download takes place .

Mark, I will answer your requests re camera settings separately.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 715
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Sorry to deprive you of your cuppa.

Mark,

The pictures arrived as 1600x1200 pixels, and around 500kb each.

I simply loaded them into Microsoft Photo Editor, reduced them to 640x480 pixels and saved them. The sizes of the files were then around 60-80kb, so they uploaded without further change.

RT.

---------------------------------------------
If you open a picture in Microsoft Photo Editor, click =Picture= =Change Size= and choose 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high. Then =File= =Save As= and choose a new new file name. Now look at its size in Windows Explorer. If it is less than 100kb it will upload. If it is still over 100kb, click =File= =Save As= then click =Attributes= and reduce the quality until it is saves at less than 100kb.

David Gore

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2005 - 05:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No problems Mate,

Living in Paradise occasionally requires a degree of personal sacrifice .

"You can take the boy from the country but you will never take the country from the boy"

Phil Black
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.248.117
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all for the great pictures. Are these of an original Factory fitted or supplied sunroof because if they are then I will look around wreckers yards for anything that looks mainly the same. Thanks again. I am right in guessing that there are maybe only two drainholes at the front section on each side?

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now Richard has kindly got the pictures on the site can anyone tell me if my car has an original factory sunroof fitted? It looks original to me but I could be wrong!
Many thanks Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 727
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2005 - 07:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had this email from a friend:

Hello Richard

Hope you and the family are well.

I was taking a peek at the RROC forum and noticed you were talking about steel sunroofs for a Shadow.

I know the roof is doubtless wider and a different profile, but my Turbo R has a steel, factory fitted sunroof. It appears to be identical to a E28 BMW sunroof - right down to the switch! An early example of BMW 'assistance'. There must be hundreds of these in scrapyards. I believe the larger version from the 7-series wasn't fitted as it's too large to fit in the central section of the roof.

RT.

Phil Black
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.218.66
Posted on Thursday, 19 May, 2005 - 07:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is all a big help but what year is the BMW E28 model that fits and anyone has an idea of what I would have to pay a wrecker if I want one. Thanks