Kienzle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Kienzle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 08:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My clock has stopped working. It is getting power, but stopped a while back. It was working intermittenetly until it then gave up.
Anyone had experience in fixing these, or is it a replacement job?
Ta

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 09:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

If it's the kind that has the solenoid wind. Just re-solder the fusible link inside.

There is a little fusible alloy between two parts inside that protects the impossibly delicate solenoid wiring. I re-soldered mine with some eutectic tin lead alloy and it works fine now.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 09:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://i46.tinypic.com/snl1eb.jpg

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 565
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 09:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's a good shot of a failed one.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/62singlecab/media/IMGP0418_zpszxscl0y6.jpg.html

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I gave the clock to the watchmaker this control did not occur to me :-/

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 - 08:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross
Thank you for that. I will look forward to getting stuck in. A nice winter evening's job!
I presume you had to lever the bezel off to get the mechanism out?
Thanks

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 - 09:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick F,

I probably had to pry the bezel off if that's what you have to do, but at this point I've pried so many bezels off I don't even remember if I had to on that one.

Also,

Thinking about it, you could probably just reflow the fusible alloy and have OEM level protection.

It should take an evening.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 - 04:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross
Layman talking here!
Is Euclectic tin solder just normal solder, or something special?
And does "reflowing the fusible alloy to have OEM protection" mean replacing the eclectic stuff (which I presume is fusible?) with normal solder?
Also, I notice, prising the bezel off is not an issue because the clock sits behind the wood anyway.
Thanks
Patrick

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 09:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Eutectic is not a brand name, it is a metallurgical term used to define an alloy of 2 or more metals that has a lower melting point than that of any of the constituent metals and/or any other alloy made from the same metals.

Using the eutectic composition for a fuse means the fuse will "fail-safe" at a designated temperature above the maximum ambient temperature likely to be encountered in service but below the temperature likely to damage other components.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 570
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

As far as eutectic, what David said.

As for reflowing, if there was enough of the original fusible alloy left on the little metal pads, one could hold them close with a tweezers and heat them with a soldering iron and the solder would reflow and reconnect the two parts.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 08:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you guys. I am now more learned than I was!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, 09 October, 2017 - 01:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Did you try and fix it yourself?

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, 25 October, 2017 - 03:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the advice. Re-soldered and working fine now. Interestingly, what is required is that the little copper eye in the picture is pushed, against it's slight springiness, against the connection and soldered. When/if the solder/unit overheats, the solder will melt and the copper eye will spring away from the connection thus saving the coil from burning out.
Lovely!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: