Clunking self levelling Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Clunking self levelling « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 08:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
After servicing rams and self leveling valves and bleeding the circuit, I have two things happening.
Firstly my no 2 brake light comes on if parked for more than 6 hours. Also there is a clunking sound from the RHS ram every time the level goes up or down.
My conclusion:
I have air in the rhs self level circuit, so the ram works after the air is compressed enough and then moves the ram suddenly taking up the air expanding, making the clunking sound.
Also when I stop the car for a while, the compressed air in the ram pushes the fluid back up the pipe, causing the drop in pressure. I will be bleeding and let you know, but in the meantime, does anyone have the same experience?
Ta

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 09:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My No.2 light comes on after a few hours also, I put it down to a slight internal leak in the height control valve which allows the fluid to seep slowly back to the reservoir. A good way to test if there's an internal leak is to plug the feed to the height control valve and then check if the No. 2 light still comes on after 6 hours, if it doesn't come on you will have narrowed down the problem to the HCV or ram. Personally, I live with the system the way it is, once the No.2 light extinguishes immediately on starting the engine and holds for a few hours after stopping the engine I'm happy with that as it's safe. You may have some air trapped in the ram but that section of the hydraulic system should self bleed if you carry sufficient weight in the trunk or a couple of heavy passengers in the rear seat and drive on undulating roads for a while. Did you bleed the nipple on the No.2 pressure switch in the engine compartment after you had bled the rams and stopped the engine? If not this might explain your problem. Good luck with finding the fault.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All

MY CLUNKING REAR SUSPENION.

Well, I lived with this clunking (see above) throughout the Moroccan Rally (2200Km), and then kept scratching my head as to what it might be.

Richard Yeaman listened to the noise during his visit and came to the same conclusion as I had - air in the system. So I bled the system very well and extracted some very dirty fluid - but still the same result. So I decided to take the rams apart again and discovered.....

The circlip holding the o-ringed stopper in place had come loose and so the stopper was popping in and out of the cylinder. Interestingly, the fluid did not leak at all, or lose pressure which must mean that it was being sealed in by the threads on the castellated nut. And a good seal it was too! This explains all the dirty fluid since there was black grease in that cavity.

As you can see from the pictures, the circlip makes a poor fit and has lost its springiness. It was supplied as part of the upgrade kit by Flying spares. I did the upgrade in April of this year. I am informing them of the problem and locating a good circlip locally.

I have checked the other side and the circlip has not come loose yet but is on its way also.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 03:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick finding something wrong is a good start in curing the problem, after reassembling the ram make sure that you load the rear of the car with adequate weight before you bleed the system, the four post lift that you use is ideal for this job, good luck.

Richard.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 04:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Richard, I will remember. I sometimes disconnect each arm and push it up gently to bleed, but I then have to readjust the self levelling all over again!

h_kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 06:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,
in the past I busted one of the seals on height control valve by being egar in pushing up arm,gently does it..

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 07:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

6 hours is fine.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 07:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

H-Kelly, thank you for the warning, but it happened to me!!
I disconnected the arm, and had a friend (unfortunately not mechanically minded) push up the arm whilst I bled the system. I suddenly heard a big clunk when he pushed the lever so far up, the cam went round 180 degrees past the point of no return!!
I knew this might happen and did warn him to be gentle, but he must have left his solitary brain cell at home.
I had to dismantle the whole valve body and reset the cam, then bleed the ram again.
If I told you that this happenend the evening before we were about to set off for the Morroco rally, and I was trying to bleed the system to stop the clunking ram, you can imagine my panic!
He is still a friend......just.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: