Mysterious cables under dash Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Mysterious cables under dash « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 19 September, 2017 - 05:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Under dash I found two disconnected cables.

Do you know what they are from?

Below the deck I found after buying the car the buzzer who was rolling somewhere. Can it be from that?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 829
Posted on Tuesday, 19 September, 2017 - 06:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan these cars were sold all over the world and had various options available so don't worry about the odd loose wire, if the car is going all right without them.

Richard.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 485
Posted on Tuesday, 19 September, 2017 - 09:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't have my circuit diagram with me to double check but I think (from memory) these two wires are the "key left in ignition" alarm/buzzer which on my 1974 Shadow is positioned top left above the fuseboard.

Many people disconnected them as an annoyance. The tiny microswitch on the ignition tended to jam and/or fail. I fixed mine with a little graphite on the ignition key and a new microswitch.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Stefan
You are a very lucky man. These wires led to a button that is hidden under the dashboard in a very special place. Very few Rolls Royces had this optional extra.
When you activate it, the wife stops talking! It is amazing.
It seems that the wife of the previous owner of your car discovered where it was and sabotaged it, I am so sorry.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 04:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan
It is interesting to see the bent upholstered aluminum in your picture.
This happens a lot, and is caused when it is mistaken for the bonnet pull and so bent downwards in error.
I did it on mine in the heat of a moment and had to fix it.
Hands up all those that have done this!
Beware all if this has never happened to you!

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have two '76 Shadows (one is a parts car) and they are both broken exactly like that.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 06:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just checked on my car and can confirm it is the key alarm. If you connect it to the buzzer, leave your key in the ignition and then open the driver's door the buzzer will sound IF the little microswitch is working. Here is the electrical diagram giving the wire colours.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 06:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also Patrick: I put my hand up to bending the trim. To avoid the problem I drilled a small hole in the fuse cover and screwed a small bolt and shiny acorn nut onto it. This makes it easier to show the various mechanics where it is so that THEY don't keep bending the bloody thing as well!

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 02:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for you investigation :-)

I try that buzzer.

Patrick: Yes, I also have a plan to repair just do not know how :-)

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 09:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I traced the old broken trim piece onto a piece of .062" aluminum, riveted the attaching points back on and reglued the leather.

fixed trim 1
fixed trim 2

Next up - recondition and re-dye the leather.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 832
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 06:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly as usual a great solution that is so much better than original.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 07:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick F
I was very lucky, only the leather was peeled off from both sides of my bonnet pull.
The rest was ok.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: