Substitute Rear Brake Pads Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Substitute Rear Brake Pads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

I have seen many references to using Jaguar XJ6 series 2 front disk pads (part no. MKD135) as substitute replacements for rear brake pads on the Silver Shadow.

I am not averse to using substitute parts, as long as they do not change the character of the car and are easily reversible. For me, the XJ6 brake pads tick both boxes.

Also, since these pads are designed to withstand the forces on the front brakes of a 120 MPH, 1.9 ton car, I figured they would easily be safe enough for the rear brakes of the Rolls.

So, I bought some over the counter at Autozone for $20, saving a 2 week wait and 80 bucks.

However, what was billed as minor fettling to get the Jaguar pads to fit is starting to look like major modification. I was hoping all that would be required would be to file a millimeter or so off each side of the pad. That's not quite so.

I thought I'd put up the following pics so anyone reading this can make up their own mind about whether they would use these pads, and also for any views on the safety aspects of the required modification.

You will see that narrowing the pads not only means cutting through the friction material but also means the oblong holes for the caliper pins will become oblong slots i.e. unsupported at the outer edges. The red lines in the second pic obviously denote the cut lines required to reduce the width of the pads.

pad1

pads2

pads3

I'd appreciate any views/comments.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I guess I should add the obvious answer is to just buy the correct pads. They will last 10 years and over that time frame the cost saving is negligible. This is what I now intend to do.

However, the question remains - why not cut the Jaguar pads down. They should be as safe and perform as well as originals.

Why Not?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 03:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suggested jag pads as an alternative when Shadow ones aren't available.

Its about an hours work to fettle the pads to fit. Using hacksaw various files and a study mounted fitters bench vice.

Or buy a Jag XJ to fit the pads to.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 05:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply.

I was wondering if cutting through the friction material would weaken it in some way. Would it cause it to crumble or delaminate. I would guess not as it has to resist enormous forces on the disc/rotor, so it must be very tough.

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 07:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff IMO it is fraught with problems with twin caliper pistons.

The pin pad locating holes will end up being slotted and allow the pads in time to tip also the noise will be something else.

Some old listings of Ferodo and girling pads for the Shadow.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 08:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see that Mintex were suppliers for RR shadows my old stock.
And for the rears to different part numbers on the pads.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2017 - 01:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Thanks for putting up this info. I have had a good search for US suppliers (to save on postage etc) but in the end have decided to go with FS. There were some Ebay suppliers but I'd rather pay a little more for a trusted company.

Geoff

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2017 - 04:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can't remember why, but in '73/4? factory changed to "Mintex" pads as the name implies on edge pad. I think the older/different spec pads used to "leak" resin that stuck to disc causing rumble/vibration etc. Dealers were supplied with slave pads with sandpaper stuck on pad surface to fit and road test to clean discs. They only did one road test, then fit Mintex. What am I saying? Stick to original spec pads!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Saturday, 02 September, 2017 - 06:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

brake pads are easy to cut with a hacksaw it does not damage the lining.

This get out of trouble idea also applies to other makes of cars where parts are difficult.

However if pads are available then go for the correct ones.

I think the genuine pads come with a fitting kit which is well worth having.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: