SS2 fuel pump not working. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » SS2 fuel pump not working. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 02:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gave the SS2 a run today as always on LPG.
After looking at the LPG stations that are not on route for the coming trip thought I would switch the car to petrol, no joy the twin pump have packed up.
Cripes not an easy job but proceeded with the removal.

Drained the tank and removed the pump horrid job as the LPG tank hides the bolt for the pump mounting bracket.

Found both sets of contacts burnt and corroded.
dismantled and used a dremmal to bring them back as new.
Soldered one of the leads on capacitor

Tested the pump, only one worked with the other contacts getting hot, checked the diaphragm and found it seized freed it up and another test all ok.
Fitted pump ready to start car on petrol turned key to listen to pump nothing.
Ah its a Rolls Royce engine protection at work.
Crank the engine, oil pressure and the sweet sound of the pumps working with the engine then fired up, but hey a petrol leak from the rear.
Up with the car to find the braided hose has a leak.
they don't like being disturbed or left dry, fitted a new pipe and all was well, sort of as the carbs started to leak, enough for to-day!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 02:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Patrick.

Do you have a vehicle lift or is all this done on a jack and axle stands?

Geoff

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 03:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, I've been using a 1.5KE24CA Transient Voltage Suppression diode (TVS)which is bidirectional in place of the original capacitor to eliminate point erosion on the SU pumps I rebuild. The difference is dramatic when you compare the sparking of the points with one or the other. With the TVS there is almost no sparking at all, this will lead to a much longer point life. The TVS is not polarity sensitive either which means it cannot be installed backwards. Too late for you now but I thought I would post this info for the benefit of future readers of your post. Jim.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 05:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff the SS1 is apart in the workshop on the coronation screw hoist so had to use an old Omer hoist that is a permanent sort of fixture outside.
My crawling under cars is no more due to my age!

oops wrong lift.

Note the petrol stain on the plastic under the engine when the car was started.

Details of hoist.

Thanks Jim, I will remember for next time or when I do repairs on other pumps.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 06:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

love the name of your lift mate.....

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 08:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Bud it has an Italian connection.

Back to the fuel leakage all is in order after a night of fuel soak in the right places.
We now have float chamber depression on both carbs.
Wow the leaks on both carb filter bodies have stopped without the use of the manometer etc.

Parts will be here for the SS1 to-day, not going to be ready in time to use it, so will now use the SS2 on LPG and petrol!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 04:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When refitting the pumps, make sure each pump can be isolated electrically easily. So should you suspect that one is not working you can easily test.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 05:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob I can get under the car and feel the ends of the pumps pulsate with the engine running.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: