Brake failing on one circuit, pedal n... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Brake failing on one circuit, pedal near to the floor. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2017 - 06:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The mot carried out in April and the brakes showed all good balance with no binding.
Today however the brakes gave up on one circuit, this was the n/s rear failing as the smoke was given off.
Let the brake cool down and drove slowly home with just one working circuit.
Tonight removed the rear caliper 1-1/2 hours and found the top pistons had held the pads on.
Cause rear brake hose failed blocked.
Some pix of the caliper removal.

Caliper removed

Top pistons free but damage to dust seals and piston seals most probable.
Caliper dismantle rebuild tomorrow with new hose to complete job.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2017 - 04:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick
I replaced all 14 of my hoses on advice from this forum and some persuasion from failings of the car itself!
Apparently failing hoses can block and cause brakes to bind as you have experienced.
I am probably preaching to the converted here, but my hoses were original from 1974. How old are yours?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2017 - 07:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick yes change within the required service schedule, recommend time 8 years or 96000 miles.
However thought I could carry out checks and detect any failing through sluggish return of fluid showing up on the yearly mot brake test!
All flex brake hoses were changed in the brake overhaul in about 2005.
Rat trap and other self levelling hoses ect I have changed in 2015.

Brake test all ok that was in April this year.
I have a thought still the castor oil mix may shorten the hose life.
Other makes of cars running DOT 4 do not have such a common failing.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Monday, 28 August, 2017 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

17668 1974

All my brake flexible hoses have been changed (10 off)

I have 4 levelling hoses age unknown but one is braided SS, my levelling system is working fine so I left them alone.

The Shadow seems to block up hoses more than other makes of cars but it is not unknown and more common than one might think with other makes.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Monday, 28 August, 2017 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob are you still running the original water pump?
My car is 17766 march 1974.
My pump just let go!

Forgot it was bank holiday so going to be pushed with the brakes spares etc ready for the Beaulieu events.
Would have bought some pistons from Kelly [good value] but mine cleaned up ok.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Monday, 28 August, 2017 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Your pistons are in remarkably good condition. Below is a picture of mine. This is what brake pistons should not look like. The boots had disintegrated but surprisingly the bores were ok. I've just replaced the seals, boots and pistons, unfortunately just before Kelly made his pistons available.

pistons

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Tuesday, 29 August, 2017 - 04:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff must confess to using the car in most cases in the dry.
I also assemble the pistons and fill a good amount of the red brake grease in the dust boots.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Tuesday, 29 August, 2017 - 08:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

original water pump still fitted, and fine. 117k miles.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, 29 August, 2017 - 08:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH19529 as far as I know is still on its original pump, I have only had my car six years, so you really don't know for sure.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 04:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Water pumps - very variable but usually give some sort of warning before going. Drips or rumbles.

On Metal radiator capped Spirits it's really important to remove the radiator cap as well as the large plastic cap on the expansion tank. If there is a slight leak it can suck air in instead of water from the expansion tank. Expansion tank remains full - no low coolant light. Engine slowly empties.

Brake hoses - Change the Height control ones as well. Especially the return hose by the left hand HCV. This low pressure outlet can get blown out if the return to the reservoir gets blocked.

9 years is extreme service conditions to be on the safe side. They do last longer . . . .much longer than most other cars are on the road for . . .so they seem to give more trouble than other cars. :-)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 05:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And of course the car being an SS1 I should have headed the thread as "Brakes failed on two circuits!"

Paul BMC or Leyland vehicles in the 70's had just that sort of common problems some even had the expansion tank cap swapped with the rad cap.

Yes the hoses give more trouble if they don't collapse then its the Ferrules rusting out.
Not so common on Mercs Jap cars etc with the yearly test.

IMO the suspension movement and the castor oil mix is mostly to blame.
Shame the design was not like Citroen with smaller pipe and coils where travel is needed!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Tuesday, 05 September, 2017 - 06:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To-day had a hour spare so fitted up the pistons and seals to the caliper, copious amounts of rubber lube and then fit the dust covers ah I remember why it is not a common practice with some, The spring clips holding the covers in place takes time more so on the smaller piston!
But the reward of not having seized pistons is worth the time spent.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 06:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today fitted all the rear new hoses, found one blocked on the n/s the shorter one of the two brake hoses.
Cause maybe the extra wright of the LPG tank and the rough road kerb potholes.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 05:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

NSR are usually first. Cooking from the exhaust?

Would recommend changing them all inc HCV and rat trap hoses. Hoses are much cheaper and less work than calliper rebuilds & pads.

And much much less heart breaking than a car going up in flames.

One change of fluid , one bleed.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 08:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No cooking from my car, no ground effect no CAT and a cool running engine on LPG, stainless single exhaust still has oil stains from a broke drive shaft boot years ago!

Front hoses, rat trap hoses have been changed when new front pads and a fluid change was carried out a few years ago.
Lucas type hoses used.

Shadow car burn outs happen mostly I'm told when the front braided hydraulic hose bursts by the front exhaust, brake fluid being highly inflammable gives a good fire!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 09:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rear brakes seizing on, becoming red hot, boiling the grease out, burning the caliper seals, break fluid leaking onto red hot discs and liquid grease . . .

All happening behind the driver so they don't notice the smoke (believe it or not.)

Time for a BBQ :-(

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 09:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wise words Paul for those that do not use their rear view mirror or notice any change in their braking behaviour.
Two circuits down and no smoke then some smoke heat getting the car home slowly and stopping to cool down.
Caliper seals dust covers still got hot.
No fluid leak just fluid boiled.....circuit failure........

How many of these cars run into things with this type of failure when there is still the other operational circuit in use but the thick over mat puts a resistance up.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, 07 September, 2017 - 07:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BIG PROBLEM FIRES ARE LOW PRESSURE FEED TO BRAKE PUMP(S) HAVE SEEN THESE HARDEN WITH AGE TO POINT SPLITTING BY ACTION OF ENGINE TORQUE ALLOWING B/FLUID TO DRIP ONTO EXHAUST MANIFOLD!
INTERESTING STORY OF GUY NEAR HAMILTON N.Z., WHO BROKE UP CARS AND SOLD PARTS FOR A LIVING. HE ADVERTISED HIS BUSINESS AS "ROLLS-ROYCE OF PARTS" HE HAD VISIT FROM R-R REPRESENTATIVE WHO SAID HE COULD NOT USE THEIR NAME. IN FULLNESS OF TIME HE WAS OFFERED A SHADOW THAT HAD HAD AN ENGINE BAY FIRE. HE PAINTED IT PINK, MOUNTED IT ON A 30FT RSJ, SO THAT IT CAN BEEN SEEN COMING TOWARDS HAMILTON ON MOTORWAY. IT IS HIS CAR!

Martin Taylor
Frequent User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, 07 September, 2017 - 08:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine did that on the first trip, I put the fire out and did a brake hose change along with accumulators etc (thanks Roy Tilley for your help if you are reading), not long after I had to replace the left rear wheel bearing, the grease had been cooked.
You may want to order a set, for anyone else with similar issues I suggest either road side disconnection of the offending brake (not easy but not impossible if you have a 6mm ball bearing) or a tow home as the rear bearing replacement is a massive job.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2017 - 07:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As gordon says . .. BIG PROBLEM FIRES ARE LOW PRESSURE FEED TO BRAKE PUMP(S) HAVE SEEN THESE HARDEN WITH AGE TO POINT SPLITTING BY ACTION OF ENGINE TORQUE ALLOWING B/FLUID TO DRIP ONTO EXHAUST MANIFOLD!

But must also mention people using LHM by mistake - turns the feed hoses to jelly and pours out over the manifolds.

:-(

Martin - you are right - nursing binding brakes home is a false economy in the long run :-(

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2017 - 05:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was lucky the brakes did not bind after the cooling down period.
Heat expansion disc caliper ect.......cooled......FREE.
Was able to slowly drive home after checking no more smoke with stops along the way with one braking circuit.

Cripes LHM by mistake in DOT 3-4! do people really do that or do they take the car to the local garage to have the low warning fluid light checked out.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2017 - 06:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

do people really do that .. . . not often thankfully :/

Yes. And some garages to. One leading oil distributor actually had "suitable for all Rolls-Royces" on the LHM+ bottles and on their website vehicle oil finder pages!!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Saturday, 09 September, 2017 - 03:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cripes, the type used is in black and white on the fluid tank by the filler caps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: