Rear springs and shocks replaced : no... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rear springs and shocks replaced : now undriveable « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, 25 August, 2017 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I replaced both rear springs and shocks on my '79 Shadow.
At the beginning the car sat a little high but after a few short trips this settled down. The car ran really well with a much tighter rear end.
I hadn't yet reconnected the height control valves to the rear suspension arm so decided to do so. I don't know if it is a coincidence but the ride now resembles a children's bouncy castle. At the slightest undulation in the road the rear end will bounce up and down several times. At motorway speeds this feels absolutely lethal and I don't trust the car's behaviour at the moment.
I disconnected the height control valves again but as expected this made no difference. It is as if the rear shocks suddenly don't work anymore. When pushing the car down at the rear it will bounce 4-5 times.
The springs came from Brabo Parts and the shocks are Prestige Parts from Introcar.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Benoit

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2017 - 01:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit

I can only think the new shocks are faulty. Maybe a batch was made with weak seals. I'm guessing.

First thing I would do is remove the rear wheels and check if the shocks show any sign of leakage.

Ultimately you may have to lower the rear suspension arms, release the lower shock mountings and see if there is any resistance in the piston rods.

Strange one though. You would not expect both new shocks to be faulty. It will be interesting to hear other owners views

Geoff

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2017 - 02:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

I contacted Introcar and apparently I was the 2nd one today to have this problem.
On my original shocks the rubber gaitor is on the bottom half. On the Introcar one it's on the upper half so I inadvertently mounted them upside down !
No harm done, just a lot of work to turn them the right way.

Benoit

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2017 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit

Well great news, of a sort.

At least all the bolts will be easy to undo. I always find doing a job the second time is much much quicker than the first time, so it's not so daunting having to repeat it.

Geoff

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: