Alternative speakers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Alternative speakers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, 25 August, 2017 - 04:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My speakers are in a state of emergency.

Disintegrated, Missing parts, etc.

The question is whether it makes sense to look for the original.

You do not know what they would sit there?

Without drilling, if possible.

Thank you!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Friday, 25 August, 2017 - 07:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The OEM speakers are, by any modern standard, subpar and I'd say they were even when new.

You can easily fit many brands of 5.25 inch speakers directly, using the existing holes for the old plywood mounts and the original screws, but using faucet washers sandwiching the "ears" on the speakers themselves.

When I replaced those in SRH33576 I used Sony Xplode XS-GT1325A speakers. See these images:

Image One

Image Two

Image Three

Image Four

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Friday, 25 August, 2017 - 07:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Stefan,
My original speakers were replaced (along with the radio)sometime in the 90's with Pioneer 2 way speakers. From what I can see, the screw holes are in exactly the same spot, as all of these size (4 inch I think) speakers have the same basic mounting hole positions.

I am still looking for an original AM/FM 2 post push button radio myself, and a matching centre console wood trim to suit. My centre timber has been cut out from the original to suit a single DIN audio unit.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, 25 August, 2017 - 07:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As well as the screw hole diameter and depth of the speakers (Many years ago, but I seem to remember having less depth in the rear door when replacing my speakers in my Shadow1)

Don't forget that matching power and impedance to original speakers is important for the health of the music system, unless you are upgrading the whole installation.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 03:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tootsie has her original 2-post AM/FM, Patrick, and I grok why you're seeking an original. Unfortunately, mine's not making any noise when I turn it on other than a vague click, which I 'think' I can hear from the speakers. Anyway, looking into this is rather low on the priority list but my plan is to make it work because it perfectly suits the vintage of the car. Especially since FM stations are plentiful where I live (and plenty good enough to suit me). Good luck in your search, pal.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 09:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

There are numerous vintage radio restorers around the world who can repair your radio either by replacing components or fitting a complete new receiver in the original housing.

If you Google "vintage radio repair florida", you will find a range of repairers hopefully not too far from you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: