Center console puzzle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Center console puzzle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Ihnat
New User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 04:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I renovate Silver Shadow I from year 1974. VIN: SRH17630.

I try to find out what was in the center console.

I tried to imply this in the picture.

Can you please help me if it's real?

Thank you very much!

Center console puzzle

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 06:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Stefan

As far as I am aware, the Silver Shadow 1 did not have a seat belt warning light. The aperture you point to on my car, 1974 - SRX18501, is open (see pic below). I do not know what this was reserved for.

The aperture you label as Radio is blanked off in my car. My guess is the 8 track cartridge sound system was located here on some cars - just a guess.

The pics below show the setup on my car. Note that in the first pic I had already removed the radio knobs.

A bodged in Kenwood system!!! - the shame of it all. Fitted by a previous owner I hasten to add.

p1

p2

Note in the following 2 pics, the switch rearward of the ashtray is non-standard. It was fitted by a previous owner to operate the passenger side door mirror.

p3

p4

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 789
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 06:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff the upholstery looks good.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 07:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH 17768 1974

is as shown in above photos

Jean-christophe Jost
Experienced User
Username: jc_jost

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 07:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

In case it helps, on my SRH25085 (1976) what you point as "warning light / seat belts" is used for rear fog light.

Center console

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 08:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,
My console is like Geoff's.

However after checking the net I have also come up with this image from a 74 car, they call it a Silver Spur, but as Shadows never had this name, I am guessing that it was from a LWB (sometimes referred to as a Formal Saloon)model car.
Its a bit blurry, however it does appear to be a seat belt warning.

However I am guessing by the looks of your console that this was never utilised in the first place. If your timber trim has no hole in it for anything, I am sure that is how it would have been delivered.

Stefan Ihnat
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 05:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for your advice.

Interestingly, the co-driver leads cables from the seat. There is no warning on the dashboard anywhere on the dashboard.

So I figured it might be on center console.

Do you have any tip where to get that radiomobile, for example? I was looking for ebay but there is not much there.

Thank you.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 06:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Different markets used it differently.

Or not at all :-)

Keep checking eBay they do come up. :-)

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 06:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan, the build record for your car should show details of the original radio fitted, plus any unusual features. They can be got from the RREC offices at Hunt House, Paulesbury.

That might be helpful.

Alan D.

Stefan Ihnat
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 06:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you.

I have RHD for British market. If it helped anything :-)

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 09:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think '74 UK market still had Radiomobile 8 track. R-R were still fitting these long after any one else as they had "bought a job lot" and given the number of cars built a year it took for ever to use stock up and change to cassette. I know this because as a dealer we had unhappy owners who (at that time) could only get new obscure American Country & western 8 track casettes from a list supplied to us by R-R!
I will take photo and post of console on my original unrestored '73 Corniche fixed head (I did PDI on this car when new)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Tuesday, 15 August, 2017 - 08:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

I would love to put an original AM/FM push button radio back into my car after the previous owner put a cassette radio in.

However, I would need to source:
1 x original push button radio for a 72 model
1 x centre console timer that has not been cut.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: