Aftermarket brake spheres Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Aftermarket brake spheres « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher Williams
New User
Username: christopher_williams

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 02:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,

Does anyone here have experience with the aftermarket one piece "one time use" spheres that Flying Spares has listed on their website. They appear similar in design to the ones that would be used on the SZ cars.

Here is a link to the product. All input is welcome.
http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-bentley-shadow-t1-t2-corniche-mpw/silver-shadow-t-1-2-brakes-pads-discs-fluid/shadow-brake-accumulator-sphere-valve/shadow-brake-accumulator-sphere-valve/aftermarket-brake-accumulator-sphere-rh2390p.html

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christopher I like yourself have wondered about these spheres, I am some what put off by the fact that it is an exchange unit and that a £25 surcharge is required on your old unit, as this is not a like for like product. In fact you are charged £25 if you want to keep your original unit.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I fitted one of these spheres about 2 years ago, it's doing the job fine so far.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 09:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I'm guessing these are pre charged with gas?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, they are pre-charged, just like the spheres for the SZ series cars are.

I have lost the references, but this form of sphere is (of course) one made by Citroen and the membrane is compatible with either RR363/LHS or HSMO+/LHM.

I think these things are a great idea so long as they remain available. Since this seems to be a product that Flying Spares has had "one-offed" just for them with threading to fit the ACVs on the SY cars I hope they'll be around for a while. I seem to recall a period during which they were not available for a while (as I keep an eye) but that was probably because they sold out and were waiting for the next production run.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 3-layer membrane is mentioned on the French Car Forum here:

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55077&start=15

And the cut-away view of the Citroen OEM and aftermarket equivalent is interesting.

I wish I could find the "heavy-duty" information I once found on this new membrane, but I cannot seem to do it at the moment.

Christopher Williams
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 10 August, 2017 - 02:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was slightly put off by the surcharge as well, Richard, but I would absolutely keep my spheres, because if the new product fizzles out, I want a back up plan to return to original.

Larry, how many miles have you put on your car in the two years you've had the spheres, and do you notice any different operation in regards to the brake warning lamps on the fascia? Such as length of time to extinguish when starting, or during the brake pedal pump test from how the originals operate?

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, 10 August, 2017 - 09:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christopher, I would guess that I've probably driven approx. 8000 miles with this sphere. I've fitted it to the No.2 system and I get roughly 60 pumps with the pedal test before the No.2 warning light illuminates but I reckon that I have a very slight internal leak in one of my height control valves and that could affect the readings. I fitted this disposable sphere because I thought the original was leaking but I later discovered that the problem was actually in the solenoid valve so the original sphere was probably OK. I kept the original for posterity. I still have an original type sphere on the No.1 system and the pedal test takes longer to illuminate the No.1 brake warning light but I think that the difference is really because of my faulty HCV and doesn't mean that the new sphere is less effective. I have my HCVs set slightly high while I ponder about replacing the rear springs. In a nutshell my opinion is that the disposable sphere has proven so far to be equally as good as the original type but time will tell.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, 10 August, 2017 - 09:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forgot to mention, Christopher, that the warning lamp associated with the disposable sphere extinguishes within a second or two of starting the engine following a week laying up, it's virtually immediate.

Christopher Williams
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, 11 August, 2017 - 02:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fantastic info Larry! Thank you very much for the detailed response.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Saturday, 02 September, 2017 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Additional information regarding the RH2390P sphere and the Flying Spares policies regarding same from an e-mail exchange with Ben Handford [my text is in purple]:

I presume that this sphere is one of the Citroen "dual-membrane" type that is compatible with either LHS/LHM - RR363/HSMO+ but that you all have had made with a custom thread size to fit the SY series ACVs.  Would that be correct? Yes

Now, the more central question.  The webpage for these reads, at the end of the description:  "We do sell these with a surcharge of £25.00 which will be refunded back to you when we receive your old unit back which will be reconditioned."  I am unclear as to whether this means that the RH2930P can be reconditioned when the time comes and there is a 25 GBP core charge that gets refunded when you buy the next one or that the price of 170 GBP is the full price but 25 GBP will be refunded if the classic accumulator, whether from an SY1 or SY2 series car, is sent to you after purchase for reconditioning and resale by Flying Spares.
It is mainly the latter: RH2390P is 170GBP PLUS 25GBP surcharge (so 195GBP to pay), the 25GBP is refunded upon receipt of your old sphere (which will hopefully be the classic type as we sometimes run short of core units)

I have not had any direct experience with the "dual-membrane" (I cannot recall what they call it, but did research it a couple of years ago) spheres and really have no idea of their functional service life as opposed to a reconditioned regular sphere.  If these are a "throw away" item like the usual SZ spheres I will have to think about whether I want to go with them versus reconditioned normal spheres or rebuilding my own, which I have done in the past.
These are a throw away part. We have been supplying them for around 7 years and I cannot recall having to supply a replacement yet.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: