Handbrake pad woes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Handbrake pad woes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 06:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm having trouble making sense of the handbrake mechanism on my 1974 SY1 (SRX18501)

I am trying to fit new handbrake pads. The calipers are off the car.

In this first pic the arrows point to two, apparently bent brackets, known as centralising straps in parts manual:

cal1

The next pic shows the caliper minus the pads. The centralising straps fit into the slots on the caliper arms. When the pads are fitted the centralising straps are sandwiched between the caliper arm and pads, allowing only about 1/8" of movement:

cal2

The next pic shows the caliper with the pads in place:

cal3

The problem is these centralising straps force the pads so close together, the rotor would never fit between them. From the first pic you can see they appear bent. I could bend them back out to give clearance for the pads, but after very little wear, adjustment would start bending the straps back in again.

I don't get it. Surely RR didn't design the caliper like this? Should the straps have been removed?

I would be grateful if I can get some help on this.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 07:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They got dumped on newer models Geoff. So removal is safest.

Also be aware that once the new pads are fitted, because of the curve you will need to bed them in, lots.

If you have it SAFELY on stands and can put it in drive you can do it while up in the air instead of keep laying down to do it. Adjust and Apply gently , drive, adjust, drive, adjust, drive, until some sort of sensible profile is reached.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 08:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul

Thank you so much for that quick response. That makes perfect sense.

Thanks also for the bedding in tip. The workshop manual method is to drive the car at 30 mph and apply the handbrake.

1. Run the car on the road at approximately 30
m.p.h. (50 k.p.h.) and apply the hand brake firmly
for two or three seconds. Release the hand brake.

I guess in these days of health and safety that would be frowned upon - lol.

I do have another less important question. The pads (see pic) are angled. My guess is the narrow part of the pad should meet the disc(rotor) first when the car is going forward.

Thanks again for your help.

cal4

Geoff

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: