Power Antenna Information - early Sha... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Power Antenna Information - early Shadows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 67.62.68.55
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I took the inner fender liner out of the right hand wheel well of SRX1248, a 66 SS, to extract the inoperative power antenna. Imagine my surprise when I found that a.) it was the original antenna and b.) it was a Delco antenna just like a pre-70 Cadillac. Now differences between the Cadillac and the RR are mainly in that a mast tower extension was made to accomodate a lower mounting height and accomodate also a screw-in nut rather than a clamping situation with a flush escutcheon like the Cadillac. As a result the lowest tube of the antenna is locked to the mast tower preventing the mast from going all the way down and below the line of the fender. It will stick up some when completely down as a result, but I guess this was an acceptable compromise.

Naturally this sucker hadn't worked in years, but since it was a lifetime California car, there was little moisture damage. Having withdrawn the unit I pulled the armature cover off the motor and pulled out the armature itself. (I've done this before, having owned plenty 60s and 70s Cadillacs, so I was benefitted by being on familiar turf). One brush was stuck in and the armature contacts were very carbon tracked. Some Nevr-Dull wadding polish solved the carbon tracking, I filed the brushes flat again, oiled the drive mechanism for the mast cable and refitted the armature. Voila.

I seem to recall that later Shadows use a couple variations on the Hirschmann 6000. These are even easier to clean and "rebuild" since the access cover is the entire side of the unit. A much more common mast is used on these which should (no reason not to) cross over to a similar vintage Mercedes-Benz. I have done some Hirschmann repair before and also know a guy who works for Becker of N.A. which used to handle all the proprietary Hirschmann antenna service for MB.

Needless to say I am always amazed at the thought of the number of these perfectly good and very serviceable American (or German) antennas which were discarded by foolish people and service personnel. Don't make the same mistake!

If anyone has a picture of one of these mounted to a car with the "correct" fender escutcheon I'd like to see it. What I got was only part of the original mount. Likewise if anyone knows what the securing nut is or could send me a picture of that part I'd be much obliged.

mailto:chipATwmsbrg.com

Chip
66 SS SRX1248 "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"

(Message edited by david_gore on April 02, 2005)

(Message approved by david_gore)