SSII park brake inoperative Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SSII park brake inoperative « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Kuurio
Experienced User
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

On my SSII SRG32569 (US-California car, now residing in Finland), the park brake does nothing. As I've been busy with the major brake works lately I've not yet tackled the park brake problem.

Symps: pedal (note; this is park brake) movement is normal, but there's no movement under the car at all in this regard. Park brake release operates ok. Possible cause: cable broken somewhere? Access to it? All cables underneath seem to be intact. I remember Bob UK stating that this could also be about adjusting? Once again: a LHD car.

Help very much appreciated,

DH

Gordon Norris
Prolific User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry,
If there is no movement at all in the cables and links under the car, the front cable is either broken or all the cables are so stretched/out of adjustment that the parking pedal is going full travel before any slack is taken up. There could be other problems with the pedal mechanism, but the above are the most likely. Did it fail suddenly (broken front cable), or has the travel gradually increased over time?(stretching/poor adjustment)

GN.

Harry Kuurio
Experienced User
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2005 - 02:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon,

has been like that all the time I have owned this car. Not on the road yet. It might not be anything too complicated, but the front cable seems a tad hidious to get at? Is it accessible from inside the car or where?

DH

Gordon Norris
Prolific User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry,
Not too hard. You have to unhook one end of the inner cable from the pedal lever inside the car, remove the clevis pin attaching the other end to the intermediate linkage under the car, and then remove the circlips and/or retaining nuts attaching the outer cable casing to the floor under the pedal lever and to the crossmember under the car. There may be another clip attaching the outer casing to the chassis or a bracket also.

As you don't know if it is broken for sure, or if everything is just out of adjustment, you need to get a correct diagnosis first: You need to first check that each end of the inner cable and outer casing of the front cable is attached,(someone may have undone one end and not reattached it when working on it or something else) and then get someone to watch under the car, even with a small mirror, and see if the under car end of the front cable moves when you push on the pedal and release. If it doesn't, cable is broken. You can just try pulling the inner cable through by hand-if it comes it's obviously broken, but sometimes when cables break they bunch up in the outer casing and get stuck when you pull, giving the false impression it's OK.

GN.