Pendulum lever. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Pendulum lever. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2017 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While browsing some old threads I came across the problem of pendulum lever failure. How can I tell if my car has UR13344 (the original) or UR17106 (the beefed-up version) retro-fitted? They look the same in the catalogue and the picture shown in the antique thread does not give a useful idea of the size of the new or old part. I looked at mine and it has ears on the input boss where the picture shows ears on the old-style one only. The catalogue shows ears on both parts.

Mine looks fairly 'butch' but.....

Alan D. (SBH10630 which is before the new style fitted as standard,)

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2017 - 08:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tee one Topics edition 56 page 810 has a picture of both

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2017 - 06:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Mark. What confused me was that the catalogue shows the new lever has ears. My car has the old-style lever and is about to get a new-style one fitted ASAP.

Alan D.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, 23 July, 2017 - 03:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, I give up, what's a pendulum lever?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Sunday, 23 July, 2017 - 05:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, [Pendulum lever] more commonly known as the Pitman Arm or Pitman Drop Arm or just Steering Box Drop Arm.

Years ago I did a mod on my original arm, put some sort of posting with pix on the forum.
Don't worry to much as they only let go on slow speed maneuvers if not checked.

I made a tool for removal as the arm from memory is on a splined taper.
A fluid can be used for crack testing before any modifications.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, 24 July, 2017 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, these cars have a history of Pitman arm failure? Hmmm, the only steering when that happens is prayer, right? I suppose I can break out my Magnaflux Spotcheck kit but I wonder if I can clean it well enough to preclude having to first remove the arm . . . probably not, grrr. Maybe I'll first try to determine if I have the small or the large joint before I fret overly much (as Patrick suggests). Thanks for the info!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2606
Posted on Monday, 24 July, 2017 - 09:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Make a packed lunch and have at least two full containers of your favourite beverage at hand before opening the following thread link - all you need to know and lots of superfluous irrelevant speculation about cracked pitman arms plus some very relevant photos showing the cracks together with the redesigned arms to solve the problem.

A classic instance of fatigue failure discovered a considerable time after the release of the Silver Shadow and rectified by a manufacturing change to eliminate stress concentration factors inherent in the original design.

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/1707.html?1107428696

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2017 - 09:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And to conclude the mod after nearly 17 years.
First in my old posting I am not so sure about the torquing of the nut, once the mod is done a quick check on any movement is observed by paint and centre pop marks.
Some pix of the mod showing some rust on the nut so maybe should have put some black paint on.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Pat for the update - certainly brings closure to what I consider to be the most contentious and acrimonious topic on this forum.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: