Rear Brake Disc Metal Band Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rear Brake Disc Metal Band « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Lacey
Frequent User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2017 - 08:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Went to Ipoh last weekend, rolling along nicely at 120-150kmh...on the way back i got a speed related vibration. Once back at home I could see a thin strip of metal hanging down from the right rear caliper assembly rubbing on the tire...started to think of catastrophic wheel bearing failure as the only thing that might spit out lumps of metal.
Tonight I had a chance to look & found two unrelated and relatively trivial problems!
The wobble was caused by a left rear failed tyre...large bulge on the inside...only a few years old & with correct speed/load ratings..just bad luck.

On removing the right rear wheel I found the metal piece was the remains of the metal band that is secured around the periphery of the rear brake disc. This band has somehow dislodged/snapped & fallen down but remained trapped in the brake caliper & just dangling.

The brake disc looks in good condition otherwise, thickness measured at 0.489 inch, i understand original is 0.5 & wear limit 0.4inch.

So my question: Whats that band in the edge of the disc for?? some anti-shudder invention?? Will driving without it cause distinctly un-RR behaviour? Should I remove the band from the left rear disc to preserve symmetry? I know changing these discs is a rather significant job...if possible I would like to spend my time elsewhere on the upkeep of the car...

dave SRH4452 '68 Shadow

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2017 - 01:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a sort of damper. The friction between the band and the disc helps absorb the vibration energy generated when the brakes squeal. If the brake squeals you need it, if not, not.

Alan D.

David Lacey
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2017 - 08:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Alan, I will test drive it today and see if I can make it 'sing'..I put new discs on the back of a Jag a few years back and they would resonate quite tunefully when new...now its all quiet after some bed-in & wear.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2017 - 05:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I AM SURE THAT IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY, BEHIND THE METAL BAND IS A WIRE CORE WOUND AROUND GROOVE IN EDGE OF DISC WHICH IS COVERED BY METAL BAND. THIS WAS TO STOP BRAKE SQUEAK. LATER? CARS DID NOT HAVE THIS AS IT WAS FOUND SOLD DISCS WORKED.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2017 - 06:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting, Gordon. The catalogue shows the disk as an "assembly" so RR says that the band can't be replaced, but it may be possible to replicate the effect with a welded strip of metal. David, is the inner wire component still there? That may be the bit that does the business, or it may be too fragile to endure without the protective outer band???

Alan D.

David Lacey
Frequent User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, 11 June, 2017 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

I couldnt see a wire band. The edge of the disc is quite badly corroded,the rust doesnt extend into the swept area, but I could see no sign of a wire. I did wonder about grinding the outer perimeter of the disc to clean it up...but felt since it is working fine as-is it is best left alone. Thanks Gordon for the insight into the construction...looks like another piece of over-engineering. I work for a german company making components for the automotive industry so i recognise over-engineering....

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, 11 June, 2017 - 04:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My bands separated from both rear discs and wrapped around the half shafts. I removed them and drove on and don't notice any adverse effects without the bands. When I had been working on the hydraulics I removed the rear wheels for easy access to the bleed screws and rested the car with the brake discs on timber blocks, I suspect that this is what caused the metal bands to separate,

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Sunday, 11 June, 2017 - 06:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When disks were first introduced they had loads of problems with squeal. Dunlop spent ages getting them right.
Because of this Crewe carried on with drums until 1965 and even then Crewe wrapped the egde in wire with a band to hold in place.
Modern materials and the design of the pad shape has largely cured the squeal problem.

So not to worry if the wrappings fall off.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: