Gearbox sump Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Gearbox sump « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, 06 June, 2017 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want to replace the gearbox sump on my '79 Shadow as the original one has never really fitted that well. Probably it has been overtightened in the past and thus is not entirely leak free.
However, I'm finding it hard to find a replacment.

I ordered a used one from FS a couple of years ago and wanted to fit it. It turned out that it wasn't deep enough and couldn't clear the internals.
The sump on my car is +/- 48-50mm deep where as the one I bought is 38-40mm. Other than that it is identical to my sump, even with TH400 stamped in it.
I contacted FS but they can't seem to find a correct one and keep proposing me a conversion to a Turbo R gearbox sump (65mm), whih is quite involving and costly and not necessary in my opinion.

Where can I find a correct sump ?

Benoit

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Wednesday, 07 June, 2017 - 01:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Benoit,
lots of people break shadows in the UK. A sump will be easy to find. If you haven't found one by September I am happy to take the one off my Turbo R and give it to you for free when we meet up.

Look on ebay for people breaking Shadows - there are always at least two at any one time.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, 07 June, 2017 - 06:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar,

thank you very much for your kind offer.
The problem is not so much finding a used gearbox sump, but more that there seems to be a difference between them.
I don't want to end up buying sump after sump to find out they are all the incorrect depth.
I was just wondering if maybe the later Shadows had a deeper gearbox sump than earlier models.

Regards,

Benoit

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, 07 June, 2017 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,

Isn't that just a th400 pan? If it is, there was a deep one for trucks and a shallow one for cars.

Jegs or summit, or ebay should have one for cheapish, though shipping might be a bit from the colonies.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Thursday, 08 June, 2017 - 06:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross is right.
look at this..............
https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/automatic-transmission-pans/transmission-type/th400/transmission-pan-style/deep

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, 13 June, 2017 - 06:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Obviously, it's not that simple to find the right gearbox sump.

Omar, thank you for the weblink, but those sumps do not have the fittings on the side for the dipstick tube, which is unique to our cars.

FS kept proposing the Turbo R sump conversion kit.
Brabo in The Netherlands just delivered the wrong sump (Turbo R without dipstick fitting).

If anyone can help me source a standard Shadow II gearbox sump (original partn. GM8625836 with a depth of +\- 48-52mm) I'd be very gratefull.

Benoit

Ben Curtis
Frequent User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, 13 June, 2017 - 08:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

have you asked Westminster autos?

http://westminsterautospares.co.uk/

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, 13 June, 2017 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,

So not "just" a th400 sump after all.

A kit shouldn't be too hard to do. Just too small a market for anyone to bother with I guess.

I want to look up the pan on rrtechnical but I couldn't find the 3 speed.

I have to reseal my pump one of these days and when I have the box out, I can do some measurements on the location of the dipstick pan inlet then.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Wednesday, 14 June, 2017 - 06:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i just went out and looked at my 91 Turbo R gearbox and the sump on that does not have a dipstick port. That means you will only be able to use a Shadow II or early spirit sump. Ask this chap for a sump - he may have one...... eBay - donedeal1385 <donede_hvi4346la@members.ebay.co.uk> and here is one more option......eBay - margsmithy <margsm_mr3796tfz@members.ebay.co.uk>

good luck
Omar

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Wednesday, 14 June, 2017 - 08:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Ross has a Shadow II which has the GM T400 3 speed transmission - for reasons best known to themselves, GM apparently did not include a transmission dipstick or oil drain plug on the T400 however RRMC following usual cautious practice fitted a dipstick but overlooked a drain plug.

Your car probably [but I am not certain] has a later GM 3 speed+overdrive transmission.

It is possible to fit an after-market drain plug to the T400 transmission which I did for DRH14434. I recommend fitting one as it makes draining the sump easier and less messy when changing the transmission filter and fluid.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: