'77 Wraith II Start-Die Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » '77 Wraith II Start-Die « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 726
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 04:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some may recall I had a couple of episodes of the above: the engine on cold start fast idles for about 15 seconds then dies, and restart attempts are "almost" in that it will seem to hit but not start. It always eventually starts. You may recall I swapped out the Lucas distributor board for a Pertronix: very easy and started first time.
Well, I got in a driving mood Sunday afternoon and fired 'er up: same thing. Idle 10 -15 seconds then die and will not restart. It did start in a few minutes and I drove about 5 miles to a local vendor for milk; when I came out the restart was fine but...died. It did restart after a 5 minute wait and I went down the street but it was exactly as if it were running on one bank of cylinders or half the cylinders. I pulled into a car park lot and tried to look like nothing was wrong; as I braked to a stop it died but it restarted and was fine for the 5 miles home.
I wonder: could the carb floats be sticking, such that it will start but will not admit more fuel to the float bowl, then when the gas is gone from the bowl it dies? To me this would explain why I had or seemed to have 1/2 an operational engine: 1 carb had fuel, one did not. this is the first time I have had this particular symptom.
When it is not exhibiting these symptoms, it runs fine.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, 07 June, 2017 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

There isn't quite enough information there but on the plus side it does the behavior consistently so it should be easy to diagnose.

Start it and have it die, shut the key off and pull the float bowl covers and see if there is fuel. If there is fuel the then the problem is electrical, if the float bowl is really low or empty then it's fuel related.

Once you establish whether it's fuel or spark, then report back the results.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 742
Posted on Monday, 24 July, 2017 - 05:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update: not sure but I may have found the cause: saw fuel leaking and traced it to warped float bowl cover on the A-side. Have bought two new ones with the square-section O-ring from Burlen's: will report results when I get it back together and try it but I am optimistic this was causing the problems.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: