HD8 mixture screw Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » HD8 mixture screw « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, 07 May, 2017 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I saw a picture of a set of HD8's on the internet that had the diaphragm mixture screw secured with a spring.

Mine is secured with a nut. Not that one does this more than once, but tightening the nut is a royal PITA.

Was the nut design a replacement for the spring because they 'walked'?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 02:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Crow foot spanner is what you need.

bend a flat spanner at say 70 degrees angle.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 07:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, My Jag MK 2 SUs have a spring. My roller has nuts as do yours. I always asked myself the same question.
My Jag is a 1965, and the Roller is 1974. Both work well, but does this mean that the nut was a natural progression from the spring? I don't know, but I leave well alone!
What I have in the Rolls, is a 1/4 inch ring spanner with a 6" length of doubled up thick binding wire strapped to it with some tape, giving the spanner a "bendable" extension which makes it easy to engage the spanner on the nut.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert and Patrick,

Both god ideas on getting the nut tightened, but if the spring works, I might just find and fit some springs. The engine runs so smooth I just don't see a problem with the idea.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seemed to work for the Cloud...

https://youtu.be/3ih5h1J-AN4?t=536

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 09:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lots "later" cars had locknut on adjusting screw to prevent owners "fiddling" with adjustment as early form of emission control, nothing to do with adjustment " walking" during service. It was the start of the world as we now know it-tamperproof!!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This adjustment is as said once set lasts for ages so I wouldn't put springs.

However if you wish buy the springs from Burlin Services who own SU. Not expensive.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 434
Posted on Monday, 29 May, 2017 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was working on the car a couple days ago and made one of these. Works good.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: