Drivers side door won't open Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Drivers side door won't open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2017 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

Just a simple question?. Is it possible to take the drives side door card off while its jammed shut. I have sprayed 2 cans of WD40 around the lock to no avail. I just replaced the door rubber which was a bit thick and putting pressure on the closing mechanism.Its jammed solid.To be fair it took the best part of a days work to fit and by then I was half pissed on whiskey and slammed it shut.Now it won't open any help would be greatly appreciated

kind regards Rob

Ben Curtis
Frequent User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2017 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its possible, but when I did it I damaged the wood capping.

I have the same issue, as yet not fixed, door button works, but does not release the door. I understand its not an uncommon issue.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Ben, yeah its the pressure on the lock i recon that causing the problem.Did you end up fixing it?

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 03:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try pulling the button in the outside door handle out as hard as you can then operating the keyed lock again. There is an O ring on the inside of the button that deteriorates, if the button does not come back out all the way the lock won't operate. If this doesn't work, try a slim jim pulling up on the internal door latch assembly about 4 inches ahead of the rear edge of the door.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

h_kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 07:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rob,
how about pushing/applying pressure (body strength)to the door,in doing so you push the door inwards/(closed POSITION) which may reduce pressure on the locking mechanism and hopefully giving you an opportunity to open same?.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 08:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert I had this happen me a few years ago, and as far as I remember I gripped the button with vice grips using a rag to stop damage and pulled it out a bit as Jim Walters says if the button doesn't come out far enough it remains locked, hope this works.

Richard.

Roger P
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.158.197.53
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 01:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I removed the rear door card when it got stuck, bit of a fiddle but no damage done I did take out the seat squab to make removal easier, I would do the same on the front seat......Have Fun...Roger

(Message approved by david_gore)

Martin Taylor
Frequent User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 08:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had this happen to me a while back, the door will not open if only on the first latch, it has to make the second click, push the door harder to close it, it will then open.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, I wonder if Martin isn't onto something. Maybe leaning a hip into the closed door will do the trick for releasing the mechanism. Of course, if you're a bony guy, perhaps you have a fat wife who would, without taking offense, gently lay buttocks against the door while you press the button. Spreading the load over a large area is key to preclude damaging the aluminum door skin. In the alternative, get fully pissed on whiskey and try again.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 04:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

I have tried everything you guys said and nothing worked to get this door open, To get the door card off and drivers seat needs to be removed . I Can't believe that there is no play in the mechanism its so tight . I went for a drive on a dirt road and put the jack in the center of the car to get a bit of body flex but to no avail. its like its welded to the frame ..

anyway I will keep you updated on the progress

many thanks

Ben Curtis
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 06:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I got the door card off without removing the seat.

I did damage the wood capping in the process (not such a big deal as it needs re-lacquering anyway).

I'm not convinced that had I removed the drivers seat that the door capping would have been unscathed.

I previously managed to get my door open once the trim panel was off by wiggling a small screwdriver in one of the slots in the catch assembly to activate it.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 07:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try someones bum bouncing on the outside and somebody working the catch on the inside as well. ??

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, you sir, are quite obviously a very practical minded man! Me, not so much because I had a brief thought of Robert driving very slowly along a bumpy country lane accompanied by a compliant (and pleasingly plump) lass with a fat ass. My mind's eye visualized her running alongside his Rolls wearing yoga pants (so preclude scratching the finish, of course) whilst gently jostling her bum against the door in an attempt to dislodge the reluctant mechanism. Unfortunately, I was sipping coffee when the thought sprang fully formed into mind and now I am nursing the effects of hot liquid spewing through my nose and have had to replace a practically new keyboard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Thursday, 27 April, 2017 - 05:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, did you assume I was talking about a door? <wink>.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Thursday, 27 April, 2017 - 09:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I now have THE BEST mental image!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2017 - 04:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys I did try everything you recommended but nothing worked. Even the big bum approach. It turned out my stomach was bigger.

bum

yeah I took the front seat out door card and for two weeks I sprayed kerosene on the lock till it finally came free

many thanks guys
Rob

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2017 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

2 badly parked VW Beetles.

Lock was half cocked.

Spray engine oil over lock and window chain.

Ben Curtis
Frequent User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, 15 May, 2017 - 08:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used the key to unlock my door and it magically started working, I suspect there's some owner idiocy happening....

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, 16 May, 2017 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And here I was hoping the bountiful lass had been the solution ;>)

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, 16 May, 2017 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben...Are you graciously suggesting that all the time the door would not open, it was because it had been inadvertantly locked, and that is why it would not open? If so, I am sure than many of the rest of us have similarly embarassing stories to relate...or at least I do!

Ben Curtis
Frequent User

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, 16 May, 2017 - 05:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let me just check, is there an Australian RR forum Idiot badge?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Tuesday, 16 May, 2017 - 08:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben,

Fortunately No - most if not all of us have been in a similar situation....................

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Tuesday, 16 May, 2017 - 08:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I seem to recall one problem was the central locking plunger not fully returning but never had to remove the near on impossible job of door card removal in place.
I have one rear door stuck closed, a not used car for spares will have a look when I have some time.

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think it's terribly brave of Ben to fess up about using the key and magically opening a recalcitrant door. And Patrick L. makes a superb point about removing the door card whilst the door is shut being nigh near impossible. However, it's special kudos to Robert H. for persisting and persevering. Well done for not losing it during what must have been a frustrating time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: