Nice Chippendale 1966 Shadow in Vic Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Nice Chippendale 1966 Shadow in Vic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 07:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents

Here's a very sharp looking Masons Black early Shadow in Victoria. Price seems equally sharp.

Will very likely need a few extra $$$ for things here and there, as these all do, but the essentials look and sound good, especially if Bob Chapman has been over it. Woodwork looks great!.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-1966/SSE-AD-4680861/?Cr=7

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 09:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sure looks really good, possibly suffering from weak rear springs but that would be easily sorted.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a lovely car.

I've requested images under the bonnet & inside the boot.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 02:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it looks good.

I will fly to Melbourne to check it out.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 06:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

I contacted the owner and he sent me these.

The current owner is already a Rolls Royce owner, with 2 Clouds on the road, with one to be restored.

He confirmed the car had been well used up to a few years ago, when it was put into storage in a shed that was very hot, which has dried the leather out, including the dash, but not direct sun light.
The boot looks very ordinary, and the boot rubber is completely unserviceable.

The car has been painted a few years ago, and the timber work re done, but he said it was a great gob.
Some small dents are in the doors, but very small, and some fine crazing in some areas of the paint, but you need to look hard.
He also said there is no rust or corrosion in the car.
He said the glass is all good, and the bright work is almost perfect.

There are quite a number of things that can be picked up in the photos.
You can tell by under the bonnet, that it has not been used for a good while. The generator, appears to show that the car is still quite original.

The brake light number 1 illuminates when the car is turned off, and there is hydraulic leaking from under the passenger side in the vicinity of the reservoir, or the accumulations, and valve chest.

He also confirmed the coolant looks just like water when the cap is removed from the header tank.

He has confirmed that Bob Chapman has been looking after it, so that is a big plus. He also said that the heads have been off the car, but wasn't sure what Bob did to the heads, or block while the heads were off.

Passenger side front hydraulic suspension looks to be disconnected, and some type of insert has been put in the top radiator hose.

He said the carpets in the rear are "as new" and the front carpet has the normal wear and tear with one stain right in the middle of the passenger footwell.
He said the car is a dry car, with no water damage or dampness in the car at all.

He said the car drives very well, is very smooth and powerful, and he was very impressed with how the car performs and drives.

He said the clock is the original fitting and still works perfectly.

The mirrors he said are original, and that even though the car was delivered in the U.K., it was built for Australia.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 07:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat

Thanks for your efforts!. She does seem like a nice old girl. Some gremlins to sort out, sure, but not "Mission Impossible". I'm sure the price would be negotiable to help offset the niggles.

Boot and engine are scruffy, not the way I'd keep my car, but nothing that TLC couldn't fix.

Sounds like he hasn't owned her for long?.

I hold a soft spot for the Chippendale Shadows- definitely the prettiest of the bunch.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 07:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick,

The current owner has only had it for 12 months.

With the hydraulic issues, and coolant being not coolant, I told him sight unseen I was at about 10k.
I'm positive the brakes would need a full overhaul, and the coolant thing really worries me.
He said he was offered more than that.

He did also say, that Bob Chapman would have many service records on the car.

He also said many kids were after it to drop a Chev V8 in it, and hot it up.
What a shame if it goes that way.

All the observations aside, it does seem like a great old example of a lovely car.

I will still try to get to Melbourne to view the car in the flesh/metal.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its a shame to see the condition of SRH1417 take a downward turn. Its previous owner is a long standing member of the RROCA. The car used to live in a climate controlled ballroom. The last time I saw it a few years ago it was immaculate. Hopefully its not too late.

srh1417

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 06:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is a shame Mark.

You are right, it might not be to late,

But the clear water in the cooling system worries me.
The brakes are a real problem as well.

Brakes 10k
Cooling system and engine unknown $$$$

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 07:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat

If you're keen, maybe get a Bob Chapman inspection and see where it's at?.

You hit him with $10K- I love your style mate!.

My Shadow was once stored for FIVE years and yet she came to life with a recommissioning that was surprisingly reasonable, well, reasonable in RR terms!. With some luck this car's previous good provenance just might pull her through without breaking the bank. Hydraulic leak could be a simple loose hose clamp at a return hose under the reservoir...or it could be an ACV worst case.

No.1 warning light staying on should be a minor elec gremlin- maybe the lamp test relay is stuck on. According to the diagram, these have their own relay and each light has it's own set of contacts.

I'm with you on the watery coolant- I'd be sucking air through clenched teeth too. But, again, maybe her previous head/engine work might allow a flush/fresh coolant, and all could be well.

Would be a shame to see this machine go to rack and ruin- god forbid a heart transplant!.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: