Steering shaft rag joint and gaiter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Steering shaft rag joint and gaiter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This evening I put in a new rag joint / rubber donut thing and steering box trunion gaiter on SRH 8844. I noticed it was bad when I did the started a couple weeks back.

What did I learn.

1. The replacement rag joint donut was actually for a Triumph tr6 but is the same thing and $24

2. There's no way you are going to photograph this as it is a disgusting greasy disaster.

3. To loosen the rag joint / donut bolts you can hold the steering shaft with an adjustable spanner from the top.

4. The order for the whole thing is, remove four bolts on the shaft to trunion flange, lock the upper steering shaft, remove a rag joint bolt, rotate the steering shaft 180 and resecure, remove the other rag joint bolt, remove the old gaiter, remove the outer trunion housing, don't drop the little guides at the top of each bearing into the dirt, replace gaiter and rag joint, reassemble.

5. Getting the gaiter back on with greasy hands is a challange.

6. The replacement donut is harder than the oil soaked original.

7. The rag joint donut has a bolt circle slightly larger than the bolt holes so it must be squeezed slightly to get the bolt holes to line up. If I had to do it again, I would drill out the holes in the donut .010 larger on a side. It's not much but it beats trying to squeeze it lying on your back under the car.

8. The gaiter was a FS part and of course fit perfectly.

New and old gaiters.

New and old Rag jount / donut couplers.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice post Ross.

Bit of a messy job mate

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 06:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Funny coincidence: I've replaced two of those...

... on TR6's. :-)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 09:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Suggestion. Put a jubilee clip around the donut instead of drilling it out. Remove when finished.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 09:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul that brings back memories of the use of a jubilee clip on the Jaguar Mk1 when fitting new joint.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

That would have done perfectly. I was actually wondering if a tr6 donut was really the same until compared them both and they were identical.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: