Silver Shadow mud flaps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Silver Shadow mud flaps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A couple of years ago, I bought what might be the last set of NOS Shadow mud flaps. Or rather, I should say Bentley T mud flaps because the rears have the Bentley "B" logo on them.
I originally thought that because they were so rare, I would figure out a way to fill the logo and paint them. Now, I'm not sure there is a good way to do that.
Since then, I have heard from others that there might be a demand for a new run of mud flaps.
So I have put out inquiries as to what it would take to have these copied and manufactured with an RR logo.
As it turns out, it is enormously expensive. Four new molds have to be created from scratch and the existing mud flaps have to plotted with a coordinate measuring machine (CMM) and that has to be converted into a digital program for a CNC mill.
So before I go ahead with this little enterprise, I'd like to know how much interest, if any, there is in our little Shadow community. I'm not taking orders or asking for money, but how many of my friends here would be interested in a set of new, high-quality mud flaps? I have to make a minimum run of 50 sets - 200 pieces.
I'm thinking the price will be around $100/pr. or $200/full set. I'd like to break even before too many years.
Disclaimer - Flying Spares still has a few Shadow front sets in stock but no rears.
I know that I want a set, not because I drive through a lot of mud, but because I like to have all the available options.
mud flaps
If I have them made, I'll offer them through my site. I can then offer my Bentley rear flaps to one lucky "T" owner.
Whadaya think?
Kelly

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good post Kelly,

Since I have never seen a Shadow or T with flaps, I thought I had better take a look.

This is all I could find.

Hope the pics help Kelly.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 02:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The mudflaps look ok.

Another source for mudflaps is from another make of car.

Cut a cardboard shape that fits the Shadow then whilst awaiting in car parks for the wife, simply offer up the cardboard shape.

Universal ones are available also any rubber sheet such as car mats can be made into a mudflap.

The logo could be cut out of the sheet and super glued to the mudflap. However IMO a logo is frivolous because a Shadow already has a logo and is instantly recognisable

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 06:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IMO I can not see the point of them.
If the use of them is to stop the spray hitting the car behind then ok.
From what I have seen by the fitment is the car retains the salt spray and mud from the wheels and keeps it traveling round the wheel arches and ending up in places that will cause rust and ally corrosion.
The front flaps if fitted IMO will send more spray under the car!.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 07:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Down-under, fitting mudflaps are a wise option for cars that spend a significant part of their life outside the paved roads of the cities. Other than major roads between towns, a very high proportion of roads are unsealed so stone chips and paint erosion from dust/mud contact are an inevitable problem. Mud flaps help alleviate but not completely eliminate this problem.

Another safety benefit is mud flaps significantly reduce the incidence of stones and gravel being thrown up by the car to cause windscreen/window damage to oncoming/following vehicles. On-car glass chips, "bulls eye" and crack repairs is a lucrative business as is full windscreen replacements.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 08:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David for the insight of the probs down-under.
I was thinking of the roads in the winter with all the salt spray and mud in the UK.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 482
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 03:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd add to David's observations also; rear mudflaps prevent an accumulation of wet mud inside the rear bumper - especially in the corners where rust is prone to start and which are a pain to clean out.

In the last 10 years only 3 sets of genuine RR Shadow I mudflaps have come onto the market anywhere in the world to my knowledge: I bought all three sets plus the last two sets of front mudflaps from the last supplier in the UK - can't remember the name but all their stock was bought by Flying Spares a few years ago.

I gave one set away to one of my mechanics, have one set on the car and have one complete brand new set (Front and Rear) which I'm keeping in case someone needs them to copy for reproduction purposes or for spares should mine disintegrate.

They were not cheap to begin with when the cars were new (and I paid a high price for them after spending many hundreds of hours scouring auction sites over many years) - if someone wants to borrow them I'm happy to lend them but I'd need some sort of guarantee that they'd be returned.

Last time I investigated I thought maybe some moulds could be made directly from them - I wasn't aware of the (more expensive) method Kelly mentioned above (which sounds like a better quality process).

A few hundred dollars a set would be about 10% of what I paid for the originals: if a run of 50 can be arranged it would be fantastic.

John G.
Frequent User
Username: john116

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 06:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd be interested in a full set if they end up being made.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dont have flaps and I dont drive in snow. I spray wax oil etc under the car.

As I have said I prefer not to fit accessories that adorn the exterior of the car ---- the clean look.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob the only accessory [home made] that I have is the tow bar and I use it other wise I would prefer it not on the car.
It does of course have the other advantage to keep the car on an even keel when parked up after a few days.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I urge you to reconsider making molds based on the tepid response. Speaking for myself, I never drive on dirt roads and thus, have near zero need for mud flaps. Moreover, I would be loath to drill holes in Tootsie. That said, if you insist on bulling ahead, I agree with whomever suggested there's no need for the molded logo because the car has one already. Especially because this would open your market to include Bentley automobiles.

Meanwhile, I would have an interest in the front spoiler because I believe it could be readily attached with clamps and thus, not be an irreversible modification (yes, I know holes can be welded closed so nothing is truly irreversibly). I would especially like one that more elegantly flows into the front fender flare and thus, doesn't look quite so mach like a JC Whitney part as the original, which I see fitted to later cars as an OEM piece.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 04:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, let's shuffle this idea into the dust bin of history then, shall we? I'm glad I asked first.
Thanks all,
Kelly

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 06:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would like a tow bar that folds away out of sight.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Without mud flaps the rocks land ....

.. exactly there.

Flaps prevent that scouring entirely. that's why I have mud flaps on the RR. The Jag has stainless rocker over covers and it's just transportation so no mud flaps there.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 06:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mud flaps not good idea for the UK, fine spray made that is worse under the car that in winter months with the salt gets the rust going!

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 09:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Salt is the worst. I car wash the jag as soon as the roads dry off after a salting.
It helps, but there's no way around salt destroying cars.

Mud flaps do protect against rocks scouring your bodywork and exposing bare metal, rocks hitting other motorists, and ice buildup in the wheel wells. They really do quite a good job of that.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 04:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nissan have it sorted for the rust protection with the rear wheel arches.
The small rear mud flap does just that and lets all the spray get away as quick as possible so not to cause unwanted failings.

Must not drive to close to a leaf, no brake lights when regen takes a hold!

John G.
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 07:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For Australian roads, mudflaps are the best invention ever!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 08:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L
Interesting what you say regarding the re gen braking.

Our range of Volvo group trucks here in Australia had an issue much the same. Their engine braking is so effective, they can really wash speed off very quickly. For Australia now, we have to modify all the new trucks so that the brake lights come on when engine braking is operational.

Actually it's a good idea.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 05:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, this is a job in hand for the Leaf when time permits, yes a very good idea, it is a standard fitment on the Tesla.

John G. do the mud flaps work well on the road trains or are they not fitted to them?

John G.
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2017 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know - I do know I'd love some mudflaps for my Silver Shadow II

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2017 - 03:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lets see if we can get maybe 15 to 20 people interested. There's at least 3 so far. Maybe ask in other forums or contact some of the RR parts distributors like FS?

Harry Heuchan
Yet to post message
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2017 - 08:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, I would like a set of Rear mudflaps for my Silver Shadow II

Martin Taylor
Frequent User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, 02 May, 2017 - 09:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What about the same size lazer cut from mirror stainless for a shadow one?

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2017 - 07:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SBH 19606 has been asking me for a full set of mudflaps for 12 years. Maybe I can get some for its birthday?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: