'77 SY USA Model Ignition Timing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » '77 SY USA Model Ignition Timing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 07:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Normally I prefer not to ask a question like this but I am on a slow connection today: I need a refresher on checking my Car's ignition timing, post-Pertronix installation.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

Do you have Chapter U from the Workshop Manual?

Section U6 covers this (and it really shouldn't matter which electronic ignition module you're using) and it's a very short section.

If you don't, you can download an OCR-ed version of this chapter from my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B61gLtsXt4oqNGlHVjRtZ2l1WW8

By the way, this chapter is broken up into full duplicates depending on the model year and delivery market. If you search on "destined for USA" it will bring you to the first pertinent pages for the 1977 through 1980 model years. I can't recall which model year you have.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 723
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian. Normally I would look
It up on the technical library but nothing is working very well today, and I was trying to get it done so I could get a road test in before I go out of town tomorrow. Alas! I can't see well enough to read the timing marks with the strobe, either.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

You're welcome. This specific information is not located where I'd ever have thought it would be logically. I only found it when I was working on LRK37110 and made a big mental note, as well as posting about its location in the past.

Since that darned chapter is over 600 pages long due to how it's arranged that's why I OCR-ed the thing. It makes finding specific information much faster.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 724
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 08:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have decided that I will have to get underneath with my strobe and try to see the mark because I can't see it from above.
I am surprised how quickly She starts, even after sitting for a week or two practically a bump of the starter will do it.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 01:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy

My car is a 1974 SY1 (SRX18501) and I would not be able to see the timing marks from beneath the car. They are difficult to see. I have to position myself alongside the front drivers side fender and peer through the gap where the raised hood meets the fender. The first time I timed my engine I removed the alternator so I could clean the front pulley to reveal the timing marks and highlight them with white paint.

In the picture below the top arrow shows the timing pointer and the bottom arrow the white line that highlights TDC.

t1

The next picture attempts to show how to view the timing marks. The red arrow points to the timing pointer. In the foreground you can see the hood spring. You have to look through the gap between the sping and the alternator.

t2

Your car may of course be different, but this is where the marks are on a 74 SY1.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 04:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff & Randy,

That's pretty much (if not exactly) how things are on the SY2 cars as well. The flywheel can get very dirty and it makes it very difficult to see the marks. Sometimes even cleaning it off doesn't help much.

That being said, this is a situation where some very thin slices of brightly colored or white vinyl tape can be your friend. That, or if you thoroughly clean and de-grease the flywheel, good, old fashioned White-out can be strategically applied in the marks since they are indented. Personally I like the tape myself since I can choose a couple of different colors for the different marks. I also had to add a piece of reflective tape not used for timing so that the laser tachometer I have can give me an accurate RPM reading so that I can do things like setting idle speed and setting timing correctly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: