Removing fuel door Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Removing fuel door « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 04:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The paint shop mixed to the formula and the color didn't match. They asked me to bring the fuel door so they could computer match. Sounds reasonable so I set out to remove it. Thing is, at present I'm not sure how to get there from here because an 11/32" wrench is slightly too large. A very similarly dimension 2BA (from a RR tool kit) is also slightly too large. Meanwhile, a 5/16" is too small (and so is 8 mm). What am I missing? Is there another approach to removing this thing without first removing the four bolts?

Fuel door bolts1
- Fuel door bolts wide view

Fuel door bolts2
- Fuel door bolt close up

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 08:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would say you are missing either corners on your bolts or metal on your spanners.

11/32 too big 10/32 too small.

Perhaps you 8mm is not too good. Or is too good.

They have probably been painted which will not help.

Use a 6 point ring or or socket. Or tap the smaller spanners on.

RR loved to use 8mm and 11/32 headed bolts. Sometimes even 8mm bolt with an 11/32 nut ;)

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 08:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...are you attempting to use a socket or a spanner to remove the bolts? I can see only one possible hex head in only the second photo but from that, it appears to be socket, rather than "wrench" that is needed? My advice depends on which tool you are trying/intending to use.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Do you know anyone with a set of "Metrinch" sockets?

They often fit when nothing else will and their design applies force to the flat surface of the head rather than the corners. They are available in the USA:

My Metrinch spanners and sockets are the most-used tools in my tool collection.

http://www.metrinch.tv/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: