Another Opfar work of art Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Another Opfar work of art « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 01:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've been patiently waiting on a Kelly Opfar work of art. Patiently because art's finished when the artist say it is and not a minute sooner! He finished it today and sent me photos, one of which I'd like to share. Polished aluminum? Yes, of course. A bit of polished brass, too? Oh yes, that also! And the horn emblem? It's not off the shelf. No sir, this isn't available on eBay or any Rolls-Royce dear because it's a custom Opfar product. It's not some cheap bit of plastic but is instead die cast zinc that's been chrome plated and the fired enamel? Well, it's all part of the ancient cloisonne process (Google is your friend). It's superb and will look just right on my car.

Bottom line? It's mechanical art, e.g. art of the best sort. Once it arrives I'll install the assembly on the wheel and get it on the column then take a better photo - one whereby you may appreciate the finished product in its ultimate setting . . . on the business end of a Silver Shadow!

An Opfar Silver Shadow steering wheel adapter with cloisonne horn button
- An Opfar Silver Shadow steering wheel adapter with cloisonne horn button

Last thing, Kelly is set up right now to make these adapters and horn buttons. However, once he turns his attention to other things it may be quite a while before he makes more, if ever. Thing is, this kind of craftsmanship is rare and for him to make a limited production item like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity (I've been in business a long time and I know you have to strike fast when these opportunities arise). So if you've ever wanted that little touch of custom for your Rolls, that thing that adds a bit of distinction without being ostentatious and loud, this is it. And it's exclusive. My advice? Contact Kelly for one of your own sooner rather than later because he's a craftsman, and he's rather busy. Since he's only geared up to make a very small number of these, I'd advise you not to dilly-dally because if you delay, they'll be gone before you know it. Call him now and secure your place on his waiting list because these take time to make (they're hand made). But more than exclusive, it's exquisite. Custom work isn't always so tastefully created as this. It's really art.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 08:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, that is exquisite!

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Makes me wish I had a Roller so as I could have one of those :-) Beautiful work as usual Kelly.

Ben Curtis
Experienced User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 07:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could we have a version of that weighted, so the RR logo stays upright while steering?

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 09:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben, you're a man after my own heart. These broken gears in my head have been pondering just such a thing...

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 05:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A glass/plastic hollow "U" shaped doughnut filled with a small amount of mercury and attached to the rear of the horn button would do the trick.

The button would have to be mounted on spigot and free to rotate inside a retaining bezel.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: