Brakes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Brakes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 08:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pistons stuck in calliper, pump to remove with grease gun filled with gear oil.
If one comes out put "g" clamp on it to hold while the other moves out.

Waiting for seals pistons etc.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 06:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pistons + kits turned up Saturday so to day spent some time after lunch built up one calliper fitted up pads.
Tip while calliper off car use a six sided 7/16 socket and free off the bleeders.
Remove and dismantled the next one for overhaul tomorrow.
Five more to go.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 05:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, all fronts done and bled, made a mix of DOT 4 with 10% castor oil.
Rear brakes seem ok, a road test to-day to blow the dust away.
Will wait for the deer to pass!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 07:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great job Patrick.

Let us know how it road tests.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 09:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Road test fine with brakes.
Lack of use with this old girl and the tyres have flats on them 55 mph.
Take the copter up to see the dust!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good job Patrick. Always nice to get a drive after a job.

Did you remove the rear pads? It's important to do this every couple of Years.

They start to bind on the innermost edge first and squeezing them in from the outside will not show that up.

Visual checks are useless.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul, the rear pads and hoses all ok .
Pads were free I double check by running the car up in gear and apply the brakes on off and then make sure they are free as a bird and no dragging pointing to a hose!

Tip removing brake olive from calliper instead of rounding off, use these:

When it moves but then the pipe is seized to olive a little heat will do the trick.
Showing dust on car:

Pressure wash with shampoo:

car ready for Mr Sheen:

How times change.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great colour! Is that walnut brown?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Wednesday, 22 March, 2017 - 05:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff, gosh had to think but yes walnut brown but maybe deep walnut brown.
All original apart from LPG and I took the rear fog lights off, they looked a cheap afterthought.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Wednesday, 22 March, 2017 - 06:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great images there Patrick.

That old Mr Sheen can would sell on eBay as a vintage item

Im looking forward to seeing the results, and your thoughts on using it.

carole jarvis
Yet to post message
Username: caroleuk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2017 - 01:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quick question on rear brakes.
I have started to overhaul mine and I need the O-rings for the gallery seals as they don't come with the kit, I know I can get them from flying spares but have you seen the price of the!
I do know that to work with RR363 seals need to be EDPM and I can get them from anywhere for peanuts But I cannot get a measurement from the old ones as they have been in for over 10 years.
Can anyone tell me what the internal diameter and the cross section measurements are?

David Hughes
Frequent User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2017 - 09:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Carole
Not being the owner of a Shadow, I am unfamiliar with the parts your require, however, I am a keen advocate of using correct parts and supporting the suppliers that support us trying to keep old cars on the road, if FS have the parts you can be reasonably confident the parts are correct, time spent chasing cheaper alternates may not be cost effective, Introcar and Jack Barclay are other UK suppliers to check prices. Having said all that,
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B61gLtsXt4oqZmQ2NmY5MDgtYWUxYy00ZGFlLWFhYTUtZTY2NDc0OGNlNzE1
Copy this link into your address bar, it is a link to alternate parts and other information you may find helpful.
Regards
David

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2017 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carole I am with David on this one buy the correct parts, (especially with brakes)

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2017 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just received 12 gallery O-rings for my car. I am currently reconditioning my calipers and flexible hoses. I bought mine from Jim Walters at $2.50 per ring. This is less than one third of the price of those offered by the usual Companies. Needless to say, I am really pleased with the deal. These rings look proprietary to me as they are oblong in cross section.

Jim also supplies most other parts, so it's worth contacting him when you need parts through his website http://www.bristolmotors.com/ or through email at jim@bristolmotors.com

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2017 - 04:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First, a big shout-out to Mr. Walters for supplying these seals at a far more reasonable price than they are available elsewhere. I would gladly purchase from Jim at $2.50 per seal (but I don't know how many he has left - we could have a run on our hands!)

Second, a big shout-out to Mr. Wootton for having sent me a beautiful photograph of same with measurements, which will be posted below, with additional information.

Since it is extremely rare for engineers to design in such a way that custom seals are required, I presumed that this seal was probably a standard spec seal, but had no idea of the spec. I sent the photo to my contact at Marco Rubber who was incredibly helpful to me when I was trying to source the X-rings/Quad-rings for the height control valve rebuild several years ago without being forced to pay about $50 for a bag containing fewer than 10 seals. It turns out that it is custom, and that they can make it. I am posting what he quoted me price wise in case we can get a group together who'd like to get the full 12 needed for their car and do a group purchase. For the 100 quantity we'd need at least eight people and the cost would be around $20 per person (I'm guessing on shipping and then the postage to get them to you). For the 250 quantity we'd need twenty people and the cost would be around $11 per person.

If anyone is interested then PM me and I will begin compiling a list. If not, then at least you have some additional useful information.

Gallery Seal

Brian

carole jarvis
New User
Username: caroleuk

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2017 - 04:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,
Something is worrying me about these seals, the ones shown on the FS and introcar sight have a round profile.
I know the ones I took out of the callipers I'm working on are flat but could this be because they have been on the car for over 10 years?
I have also seen a calliper rebuild that Ronni from Ronnie's garage on youtube, yes it was a late cornice but the callipers are the same it's just the brake fluid that changes and due to that he could use Buna rings, but they were also standard round profile rings.
Did you use the rings you took out of your callipers as a sample? If so they could have also been round profile originally.
Sorry to add more questions than solutions and I admit that I could be wrong?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2017 - 05:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Carole you are wrong, they are square.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2017 - 07:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian

Thanks for this information.

However, for me, this is solid proof of the great deal Jim has offered and I think we should use it as a reason to support his Company by giving him our trade. I had assumed these rings would have been very cheap to buy in bulk and that we were paying for the ancillary costs (storage, handling etc). At just $2.50 a ring it is clear Jim is offering them as a service to RR enthusiasts. I know he offers many other parts (including rebuilt accumulators, brake calipers etc) so it is always worth contacting him when you need a part - http://www.bristolmotors.com/

Carole - The ones I have removed from my calipers are definitely rectangular cross section. There is no way round ones could have deformed into such a perfectly rectangular shape, even after the long time they were compressed in the caliper. I really would buy the correct seals for such a safety critical part of the car.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2360
Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2017 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff Wootton wrote, in part:

quote:

. . . for me, this is solid proof of the great deal Jim has offered and I think we should use it as a reason to support his Company by giving him our trade. . . At just $2.50 a ring it is clear Jim is offering them as a service to RR enthusiasts.

About which I absolutely agree. I want to make it clear that I was not attempting, in any way, to undercut Jim's business with this post. I'd gladly pay $2.50 per seal in the quantity one needs for a single car; it's a bargain.

I did want people to know that this is the odd non-standard seal, as engineers seldom design seals but tend to design around existing ones, what its dimensions are and approximate production costs at this time should we ever find ourselves in a position where they become "made of unobtainium" at any reasonable price from virtually anyone and custom is the only way to go. It probably won't occur in the short term, but we all know how valuable this sort of documentation becomes over the long term.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: