What advice would you give?? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » What advice would you give?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 06:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi. I have recently acquired a 1973 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow that has been severely damaged and neglected. It was drivable until it was damaged by a fallen tree eight years ago and then neglected until now. It is mine and my sons intention to restore it to a drivable condition.
We are both aircraft engineers with extensive experience on structural repairs to old and modern aircraft and engines. To assist us with the venture we are looking for a workshop and parts manuals for this vehicle.
We would appreciate any assistance you may be able to give.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 08:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It sounds like they know (more or less) what they're getting in to. Brave men, them.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 08:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are very brave people, and such bravery deserves a reward.
I have a workshop manual and other stuff on my PC that would be invaluable to you.
Too big to email, but I could send you a usb if you give me an address.....
Or dropbox??

Ben Curtis
Experienced User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 08:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Counselling sessions. One hour a week.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 09:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

TSD2476 [high resolution version] and the Shadow parts list can be downloaded from the Technical Library F.O.C.

TSD 2476 Workshop Manual

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/tsd2476hires.htm

Spare Parts List

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/spare/start.pdf

Download the PDF "Start" file and open the PDF file, click on the section you require parts information and it will download the relevant pages from the Library.

If you have problems, let me know and I can send you the complete parts list on a DVD.

At last I can return a favour to you for all the help you have given other Forum contributors .

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 09:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks. Just to make it clear. . . That was a question asked of me.

I sent them manuals link gratis but also I said

RUN

But am I being harsh?

I've seen too many projects like this break people both mentally and financially.

Patrick Francis
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 02:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul
IMHO you gave the best advice. Alawys buy the best you can afford. There is always much to do on a running, working Roller for those that want to get involved.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 04:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can never understand people!!!
To take on a challenge as large as this is madness - why doesn't someone just use their common sense and convert all that energy from fixing a worthless Shadow into building a special car that can then be worth the effort that has gone into the project? Look at how many hand built Bentley specials are out there - they are all worth more than the cars that they started off being.

Taking on a challenge is great but if you can do it and then have a masterpiece on your hands why waste your time on something that at best will be worth £15,000 when it is done?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 04:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Challenges can be most rewarding with a sense of achievement.
When done I bet they will know the inside and out with the two worst failings being overcome.
IMO hydraulic levelling, brakes and spheres if done by themselves.
Aircraft Engineers will find it a doddle.

One only has to see the work of Kelly Opfar car.
Great+++++++++++++++

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 06:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ditto, Omar.
They have purchased a parts car. Nothing else is logical.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Omar. I bought my Shadow with every intent to just drive it. I wasn't looking for a project but a project I got.
I like a good project, but this was good money after bad. I definitely wouldn't do it again. I'll have well over $100,000 into a $20,000 car.
I could have had three other really nice cars done with the time and money I've got into SRE24700.
Paul, if your friends want a Shadow, find a nice one for them that you approve of. Drag the tree victim to the breakers.

Patrick Francis
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 08:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am in the same position as Kelly- spent more than the car is worth on her, and continue to do so!
We bought mine new in 1974 for around £15k? - probably worth about £20k now if I am lucky!
Isn't it sad that a hand built, super refined piece of machinery such as a Shadow is worth so little - but that is life my friends.
Maybe one day......

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 09:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spending more on a car than it's worth doesn't bother me at all. Swapping it for one in better condition wouldn't be the same car -- which is fine when I want a change, but sometimes I'd rather have continuity.

It's the same in the garden. There are some plants that don't belong where they are, but after they've been there a while it's like "that's where they are".

Cheers,
Jeff.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, I agree with you and am like that, cars and plants :-) .

But this is buying a car to do it up . . ..

I loved your T when it was done :D :D wish I had the money to bring it home. :D

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't understand the angst. So a guy's going to be spending quality time with his son on a project car. So what? Sometimes it's not about money but about something, which is priceless, their time together. Instead, let's celebrate their effort and enjoy it with them. In fact, let's hope Paul encourages them to join this forum so we may participate vicariously because they're certain to encounter problems and equally certain, they will overcome same. Bottom line? Life's too short and in any case, it's a done deal because recall how the first sentence Paul shared began; "I have recently acquired . . ."

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 02:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will add myself to the chorus of variants on, "Run, do not walk, away from this project."

A Shadow that has been crushed by a falling tree is not "a project car" it's a parts donor.

Even if one is "in it for the accomplishment" there needs to be some consideration of the reasonableness and desirability of a task from the outset. Many people have grossly inflated ideas of what these cars are worth, even in perfect condition, and have no real idea of how big a money pit this precise situation is.

I would never, for one second, encourage someone to start down this specific road. Keep this car as a parts donor and get one where you can actually enjoy the process of bringing it back to life in a reasonable amount of time without both driving oneself crazy and bankrupting oneself, too.

John, the purchase may be a done deal - nothing else is. If these individuals want honest advice then you're seeing it being given here and exactly where the majority comes down and why they come down there.

I cannot in good conscience lead someone down the proverbial primrose path, and this one isn't a primrose path but one simply enveloped in briars and brambles from which there is virtual certainty of an unsatisfactory outcome.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 02:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John,
Indeed the quality time is admirable and needs to be celebrated. How wonderful it would be if that then yielded something tangible? The father and son can spend 8 weeks digging holes and then filling them if they wanted - that will surely bond them.... but how worthwhile will this be?

Building a special car... or restoring a Cloud.... or a Phantom..... Yes!!!

Omar

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 02:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff Young wrote: "Spending more on a car than it's worth doesn't bother me at all. Swapping it for one in better condition wouldn't be the same car -- which is fine when I want a change, but sometimes I'd rather have continuity."

When it comes right down to it most antique car ownership, even absent trying to do a full resurrection of a damaged example from the long dead, involves "spending more money than the car is worth." It's only where spectacular and rare, or formerly "worthless" but suddenly "hot," examples are involved that any meaningful return on investment can be expected.

It is a hobby, at least for most of us, after all.

All of the above being said, there are definite limits for each and every one of us. The more uninitiated a given individual is in the world of Rolls-Royce and Bentley the more obligation I feel to give them a very accurate picture with regard to cost and value, along with effort and likelihood of seeing it through in light of same, so that they can make an accurate assessment as to whether this is within their limit or not.

It's the same in the garden. There are some plants that don't belong where they are, but after they've been there a while it's like "that's where they are"."

You and my partner, who likes to call what he's created a "collector's garden" share the same philosophy. I'm generally more aggressive and take the "out it comes" approach if I decide something doesn't belong where it is. Needless to say, I work on my cars and he clutters up every square inch of garden space available, and keeps expanding the beds into the yard, too!

Brian

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 03:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tolerance is my watchword. Nice thing about expanding the beds into the yards is this means less to mow! Bright side, don't you know?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 04:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
great advice and sound words of wisdom from you as always.

I bought a VW bus that had suffered a tree fall on it. It went to the professional body shop for repairs a year ago. The car is still there. The result of the job has been dismal. The whole body shell twisted and almost every panel had to be torn off and straightened and then put back with several datums lost in the process.

I will never ever consider a tree crushed car in a million years.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 04:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 06:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well well this brings back memories of my trip with my Son to boarding school with the RR.
Lorry traveling in front on a frosty afternoon when all of a sudden a part of a tree lets go and lands on top of the car.

Insurance said write off ok pay me out and I keep the car.
To cut along story short, car repaired with a great learning curve well within budget.
Car as good if not better than when it left the factory, well I would say that.

Wow and another my SM smashed in France.
Pulled the front out with the help of the garage recovery lorry.
I fitted temp lights etc etc.
Drove car back to UK.
Insurance paid out I kept the car.
Repaired car what a learning curve.
car now on display.

h_kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 07:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul, only thing I'd suggest is doing a vehicle check.I had almost bought 2nd silver shadow within last 2 years, a car report identified it had been a complete write off so that put a stop to that as several insurance companies refused cover on same.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 06:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK as well as fully com insurance one can insure third party.

This can mean some high premium and ordinary motors have accident damage the some owners cut their loses and sell the car with no record on HPI etc.
Pick a class car for repair and the challenge and reward with the end result costly maybe but the cost is long forgot and with time worth more than the total cost.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 01:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Do you have pictures of the car you are considering?

Also, buy it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: