NBG15389 0 rear Shocks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » NBG15389 0 rear Shocks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, 16 March, 2017 - 04:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys, I have a leaking rear shock absorber, it's not bad yet but without attention will only get worse.
Q1; Bentley Turbo RL Is there a rebuild kit available for these very substantial looking shocks.
Q2; If I have to replace them is it a simple matter of dropping the spring and changing the shock or do other things come into play? Any help/advice here would be appreciated.

On a totally different matter, I recently came down quite ill, hence I wont b be able to attend the RR Nationals this Sunday :-( I am shattered as I really wanted to attend but I am not physically able to. The problem is edema in both legs which has opened up Venous Ulcers. Yeah I visited the doctor today all he could do was give me antibiotics to take down the inflammation. :-(

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Thursday, 16 March, 2017 - 06:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

can't help with the shocks.

Have heard Honey does the trick with Ulcers.
From an old game keeper who suffered for months before the honey was used.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Thursday, 16 March, 2017 - 06:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Manuka honey is what you are referring to - it comes from the pollen of an Australian melaleuca tree hijacked by the Kiwis, given the Manaka name and now subject to a Court challenge from Australia's original custodians who first used the honey as a traditional medicine.

I have never used it but it has a very good reputation for its healing properties.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, 16 March, 2017 - 06:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yep we have tried Manuka Honey as I really had nothing to lose. Doesn't work on me :-(

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Thursday, 16 March, 2017 - 07:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bloody hate the double click to confirm :-( :-(

So many lost posts. You'd think I would have learnt by now!!

Make sure it's not a return pipe.

Some people have fitted external seals.

Don't worry if only leaking when jacked up.

Cycle upside down. Don't use iodine if you're allergic to sea food. Oxygenate yourself.

Get better soon.

Sorry for brevity.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, 16 March, 2017 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan Ford,
I am sorry to hear you have leg ulcers. these ulcers can be difficult to cure and you must keep worrying your doctor about them.

In your lower leg muscles are tiny pumps that circulate blood up and down your legs so exercising those muscles will circulate the blood around your legs.

I am NOT a doctor so his advice overides anything else.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Sorry to hear of both your situations, though I can only offer advice (and via Richard Treacy from several years ago) on one. Get well soon!

-------------------------------
From the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation:

For SZ-Era Cars employing gas spring spheres which have apparent leaking in the rear strut/shock/damper:
From Richard Treacy:
If the leak is between the metal union and the strut where the nylon return hose fits to the strut, then the repair is simple and permanent. Pull the union from the strut, apply a smear of Loctite 638 and push it back in. The Loctite will cure in an hour or so, and overnight will reach full strength and will never bother you again. If the leak is elsewhere, it is not repairable. Using a secondhand strut is fine, and there are lots available in the UK, as the damping is in the gas spring valve body and not in the strut itself.

If you replace only the rubber concertina boot at the lower end of the strut, the thread of the union adaptor often strips in the alloy strut housing as the union adaptor fits to the strut through a hole in the boot. Loctite 638 is the cheapest and best fix possible. Retapping the strut and fitting an oversized union adaptor thread is far less satisfactory.

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 04:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan
So sorry to hear - hope you improve soon - legs on pillows etc.
With your leaky shocks, I have no experience with Turbo Rs, but based on my experience with my Shadow1, I would make sure that it is not the self levelling suspension that is leaking - sometimes looks like the shocker.
I have just had both shockers out on the Shadow which was easy but time consuming

4 bolts on neach side down below that hold the shocker plate on - hold the pressure of the sprung shocker whilst releasing bolts.

Up above I had to release sphere pressure (pumping brake pedal shedloads), remove the hydraulic pipes and take the self levelling rams off. Afterwhich it was 2 locknuts at the top of the shocker which once released, allowed the shocker to drop down. Whilst you are doing this. I would replace the rubber bushes top and bottom of the shockers - cheap to buy.
Hope this helps - maybe turbo R is nothing like that though!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2017 - 05:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

I am so sorry to hear your news.

I was so looking forward to catching up with you on Sunday. I was so keen to check out Benny and his brand new tiller that Kelly supplied.

I do hope your legs get better soon mate.

I wish you a speedy recovery Alan.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 05:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wishing you a speedy recovery mate.....

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar et al. I appreciate your kind thoughts. Right now I am doing everything the Doctor tells me to do. Today my legs feel slightly better but that is due to the antibiotics handling the infections I have in both legs, traveling both up and down!
The ulcers remain and over the past years have come and gone. This time they are more persistent than usual. Anyway fingers crossed the healing continues.

Now I am all too aware that the RROCA Nationals are be being held in Canberra right now. Guys I hope some of you bring back plenty of photo's to show those here that couldn't attend what we missed ;)

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The problem with the leaky shock is obviously beyond my pay scale so I will get Phil to take a look at it :-)
Thanks for the above answers and comments.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: