Cylinder head and rocker cover paint? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Cylinder head and rocker cover paint? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Curtis
Experienced User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 09:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any recommendations for black paint for the heads and rocker covers?

I did wonder about having a peppermint green engine.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 06:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben,
I would be asking Kelly for the paint type & code he has used.
Its stunning.

In case you missed Kelly's post regarding his restored parts (including rocker cover) please see here.
http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/19983.html?1483634160

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 08:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Metallic peppermint green by was chosen sometimes for show engines by various engine makers. Perkins Diesel Engines LTD did an engine for the motor show that was met peppermint with lots of chrome bits. It looked like art.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Was standard on Austin Healey, Sprites(1969-1971) and MGC engines.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 05:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben, all I can think about is that beautiful peppermint green Shadow. PAINT ALL THE THINGS GREEN!
But if you want to be more conservative, black and silver would be more appropriate. I had my valve covers powder-coated with a semi-gloss black. I would prefer that they had more gloss to them and I am going to clear them when I get around to it.
The head and the block were natural from the factory. I'm going to paint mine (Peppermint! Not really - silver). If you want to paint yours, Eastwood makes some great high-heat engine paint in any color you like. They offer spray cans and quarts.
http://www.eastwood.com/paints/hi-temp-engine-paints.html
If you are asking about the perfect factory paint code to get just the right shade of black, sorry, can't help you.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 08:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark I forgot about the BMC c series engines. Those engines looked quite good when new but after a while the looks faded as it got dirty.

I like gloss black and silver with red painted nuts and bolts

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: