Encourage me to buy another Shadow. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Encourage me to buy another Shadow. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Curtis
Experienced User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, 05 March, 2017 - 07:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I really really badly want to be driving a Shadow.

My 74 car engine rebuild is progressing (this is good) at a glacial pace (this is bad).

I'm going to see this tomorrow.

http://www.arunltd.com/rolls-royce-silver-shadow-series-1-in-west-sussex-6134752

Concerned about engine coolant changes and the gearbox (its a 4 speed car).

What do we think?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Sunday, 05 March, 2017 - 07:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

She looks lovely. I was looking at it for a client.

Just the advert, not in the flesh yet.

4 speeds are not as nice as the GM box, but not to be afraid of.

As with EVERY RR&B purchase I would get it inspected by an expert no matter how good the history is or seems.

Good luck with your search :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 06:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is a pretty nice looking car Ben, inside & out.
Wish I was closer to come and have a look at it with you mate.

Ben Curtis
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 08:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its amazing how good a car can look on the internet, when in real life, its not so nice. First time I've sat in a Chippy dash car, what a lovely place to be.

I'm tempted to go see this one too.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/rolls-royce/silver+shadow/214695

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 08:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Completely understand Ben,

But good images as this seller is providing, will determine if you make a call or go to the next stage of the enquiry.

Even though these have no under bonnet or under car images, the car does seem to have little out of place, and if local, would seem to be a good candidate for stage 2 of the enquiry/buying process.

I would travel a good few hundred k's to check either of these cars out, after a lengthy Q&A (write down a list of questions) with the seller.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 01:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a Silver Shadow 11 that I'm considering selling as I'm interested in a Bentley Eight but don't have enough garage space for both. The Shadow 11 is a 1979 model with 2 previous owners and only 65000 miles. Engine is perfect and hydraulics are excellent. Interior leather & carpets are excellent & dash veneer is excellent. Body is generally very good and underneath is rust free. There are 3 faults that I had planned to attend to this year 1) passenger side front and rear wheel arch rust easily repairable, 2) Air con not working but probably only needs a filter & recharge and 3) some cracking of lacquer on wooden door caps. I have receipts for €thousands spent mainly on replacing hydraulic components. Many brake pipes have been replaced with copper nickel pipes also. I've changed the engine oil & filter far more often than necessary, changed the ATF and filter every couple of years, flushed & changed the engine coolant every couple of years and flushed & changed the RR363 fluid far more often than necessary. I haven't advertised her for sale as a particular Bentley Eight only caught my eye lately, otherwise I would not have considered selling this lovely motor car but finish attending to the 3 faults mentioned above. If you're interested Ben the price is considerably less that the 2 vehicles shown above. If you're not interested that's fine, no pressure.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 02:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where are the pics Larry?

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 02:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, Pics will take me a few days, I'll have to get somebody else to take them with a digital camera and download them as I haven't a clue how to do it. I'm not very technically educated in computer downloading. Forgot to mention that car is in Ireland.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 02:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben, the color on that peppermint Shadow is the prettiest thing I've ever seen. I think I just decided on the color I'm going to paint SRE24700.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 06:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

That is a pretty nice colour alright!

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 07:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Change of plan, another prospective buyer has placed a deposit on the Bentley I was interested in, he who hesitates is lost! Looks like I'll be continuing to improve my Silver Shadow for another while. C'est la vie.

Ben Curtis
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 08:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, the peppermint car is lovely, with red interior and red sheepskin rugs too I think.

Larry - thanks, but if I did it would be an early car.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 08:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No worries Ben, good luck on your quest.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: