Grille, AC Condenser and cooler Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Grille, AC Condenser and cooler « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Something was dripping from the front of the Royce so I decided to take a look.

--------------------------------------------
First remove the bumper which is fastened with two 9/16 bolts from each side. To be clear these are actually 9/16 so 14mm won't do.

Then remove the three 7/16 bolts on the underside of the grille. You can see the three brackets in the this photo

After the bottom bolts are free, remove the four 7/16 bolts attaching the grille to the support plate. It is the four bolts on the vertical flange. The four on the horizontal part are for securing the support plate to the car.

Carefully, remove the grille. It's supported by the lower brackets but it is a surprisingly heavy.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That cooler looks like it might be the culprit.

Yup.

-------------------------------------------
While the grille was off I thought I'd take a couple shots for those needing to do this. Not sure what the point of the little plate is but I put it back when I was done.

The plate did cover one of the three access holes for the three bolts that hold the top of the grille slats in place.

The three bolts that secure the bottom of the grille slats in place.

Looks like the Royce lost it's lady at some point.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I replaced the hose with some 3/8" fuel rated stuff I had sitting around.

-----------------------------------
The clean freshly re-hosed cooler.

Ooops, looks like I forgot to re-install the AC condenser.

Brought to you by....

Jubilee, the Rolls Royce of hose clamps.

Never Seeze, the Rolls Royce of anti-seize compounds.

Antireeze can with the top cut off and filled with paraffin, the Rolls Royce of backyard parts washers.

And finally, Squirrel, the Rolls Royce of $3 import adjustable wrenches.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If anyone ever has to pull the radiator on their Shadow. I hope the pictures make it a little easier.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fantastic walkthrough Ross.
Thanks for taking the time to document it, I'm sure it will prove very useful to refer to in the future for others.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 01:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agree with Jeff here Ross.

A great step by step presentation.
Well done.

One question,

Just to get the grille out, the only top bolts needed to be removed are the 4 vertical plane bolts that hold the grill to the horizontal mounting flange?

I want to pull my grille for cleaning behind before the Federal Rally coming up next month.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 01:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross

Thanks for putting this up.

One of the useful things about the 640x480 photo restriction is it makes forum entries like these really easy to copy and paste to microsoft word. Just select the area, copy to clipboard and then paste directly into word. Very convenient for storing useful procedures and information like this in your personal archive. Takes less than 30 seconds and all the info is saved.

Geoff

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 07:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quite common for the PAS cooler hoses to weep/leak. Good practice to look through vanes occasionally/ at service interval to check. Removing shell also gives good access to condenser to clean, as when dirty it restricts airflow. same goes for PAS cooler. Every shell I have taken off over many years, always has a spacer. Thought it was keep alignment with forward edge of bonnet???

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 405
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 08:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross , I have always managed radiator grille removal without removing the bumper.I have also had these PAS hoses weep.
Mark

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon,

The radiator to reservoir hose is also easily replaced at this time. I should have replaced mine which was hard. A hood gap spacer that makes sense.

Mark,
I don't know if it shows in the pictures, but at some point the bumper got pushed back. There wasn't the clearance on this car to pull the radiator up without pulling the bumper.

Patrick,

The four bolts on the vertical surface and the three from below are the only ones that need to be removed. I pulled the other four to pull the support so I could use a socket on the condenser upper mount bolts.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 711
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 02:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross the most important thing I noticed was you are not afraid to get your hands dirty.

Richard.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 03:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I forgot this picture,
--------------------------
Bang, the Rolls Royce of dollar store spray degreasers.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 03:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On the Bentley you have to at least loosen the bumper and pull it forward a bit to get at the lower grille bolts.

Odd that the RR also has that little plate. I had assumed it was to make the Bentley grille fit the RR mounting bracket.

Cheers,
Jeff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 07:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Ross,

I need to pull my grille out, plus the horizontal mount as the vertical plate at the back of the grille and the horizontal mount both need painting.

I believe they should be painted flat black, not gloss?

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 - 07:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, flat black. Never remember any desire to polish!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 - 07:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Gordon,

I will remember that

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: