SRH18294 Rear Springs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SRH18294 Rear Springs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

NIgel Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.87.60.247
Posted on Thursday, 24 February, 2005 - 09:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, progress on my restoration is proceeding. New paint job, new woodwork, updated cd/radio, replaced accumulators and pressure switches.

The rejuvenated system blew the seals in the height control valves so these also replaced.

I had replaced the springs and I believe this has created a slight problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The original springs are pretty soft so without the height control valves working the car sat lower than should be at the back. The new springs are pretty robust and holds the car at near the optimum level for the trunnions.

With new springs and working height control valves I have heard some very strange noises coming from the rear. Firstly there is the sound like whales talking to each other (no I haven't had anything to drink yet) and the other is like something is broken and about to fall off.

I loaded the boot (160kg) and the second sound stopped. Is this because the new springs are too stiff and are making the height control valves work in reverse? (I recall in an earlier forum article someone put in new springs and then put a steel plate in the boot to provide weight.)

The whales conversation has continued so I assume the roll restrictor valve needs a clean.

Additionally, where can I get new carpet?

My rear electric windows are now faster than the drivers window as I've used the power lead from the rear cigarette lighters plus a relay switch.

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Aravanis
New User
Username: krug300

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 27 February, 2005 - 04:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Ralph,
must be my whales that somehow ended up in your Shadow. When I reconditioned my inoperative rear hydraulic system, the car sat low. Until I ordered my new springs, I corrected the height by adjusting the height control valve actuators. Cleaned the roll restictor valves too.Height control valves leaked and were replaced. Then on my first outing with my Shadow "level" the strange noises began. At 10 miles or at 70 miles per hour, every 20 seconds or every 20 minutes, there was the noise. You say whale, sounded like a "dry" ringing sound with an echo to me.Or like a part of the car momentarily dragged on the road.
Bled the system 4 times, replaced the springs (as scheduled, with uprated units)and re-adjusted the height control to the point where it operated only when the fully fueled car with 70 kilos in the trunk had another person sit in it(the trunk).
But the noise was there, coming from the area below the rear seat it seems. Weight in the car made no difference.
Then one day, it went away. And it hasn't been back. Only difference is the change of outside temperature (winter here in Greece).
Next week I am replacing the accumulator membranes and accumulator valve o-rings (my front accumulator is "flat". What will happen I don't know.

Nigel Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.87.57.66
Posted on Sunday, 27 February, 2005 - 07:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi JOhn, thanks for your response. How long was the unpleasant noise operating before it finally went away? Maybe I haven't waited long enough since my hydraulic rebuild. Its been a couple of weeks since the height control valves had their o rings redone. It really does sound terrible. Winter is coming up but here in North Queensland we don't really have much. A couple of mornings of low sigle digit temperatures but by 10am cardigans or jumpers are off and its round 22 degrees. Trouble is it may take a couple more months to come and the strange sounds really do sound ominous!

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Aravanis
New User
Username: krug300

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 02 March, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It took about 700 kilometers or 6-7 outings with the car for the noise to go away. Gremlins aside, ( and I just remembered ) I did remove the height control solenoid fuse and that's how the noise first stopped.
With only the ignition on, I could hear the solenoid operate (clicking sound) when opening a door. I then thought that maybe since my system was inactive before, the newly introduced proper pressures caused the noise. If one of the door switches didn't make good contact, it could be at speed, that it would cause the solenoid to very rapidly "cycle" causing the noise I heard.But then I would probably see an interior light flicker as well......
There is solenoid relay (below the voltage regulator in my SRH 8685) and it too could produce the same symptoms. I took a 40 mile ride with the fuse removed and it was q u i e t.
When I re-installed the fuse the noise was gone.
Coincidence?? It has been 4 months now.