Chrome wheel arches Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Chrome wheel arches « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 05:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did Rolls-Royce ever fit chrome wheel arches to the Silver Shadow? Not so much for the appearance but for their ability to protect a little better than the bare metal against the door edge of the rude or malicious fellow in the parking spot next to you at the grocery store.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 06:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John Not specifically for the Shadow.
I think they were made for Silver Spirit. However with a little trimming to the ends they fit the post 74 Shadows that have the flared wheel arches quite nicely.
Here is an image of a friend of mines 74 Shadow with them fitted.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 07:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John in the UK they are often fitted to cover rotten wheel arches !
Mark

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark I agree and if they are not rotten before you fit them they soon will be after fitting them IMO.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

I think if they are fitted properly to a clean car that does not have salted roads, they should be ok for many years to come.

The ones in the pics above have been fitted for many years, and Australia does not salt roads.
So still as new.

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 01:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The wheel arch trims in the photo's were available through a supplier here in Sydney and were specifically labelled for Silver Shadow. No modifications were necessary and they were fitted whilst the car was having some paint work done. They do stop local yahoo's opening their doors against the mudguards in the shopping mall!

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 01:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, next question. Any chance of finding a set to fit Tootsie? She's a Series I.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 01:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graeme may have to answer that for you John.

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

these are the contact details for the supplier of my Wheel Arch Trims.I had them fitted by the Panel Shop that was working on my car - they did an excellent job.
FENDERTRIM AUSTRALIA
Glenorie NSW 2157
Ph: 02 9652 1900
Fax: 02 9652 1704
Email: sales@fendertrim.com.au
Web: www.fendertrim.com.au

Regards,

Graeme

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've found a new set listed on that website but as for the Silver Shadow II . . . did the fender arch change much compared to my 1969 Series I model?

Also, I've found a used set - but for a 1983 model. Again the same question pertains. With respect to the used set, the vendor has a 30-day return but I don't want to abuse a vendor so I would rather try to figure out if these are usable before putting them through the trouble. This question is principally for Patrick since he mentioned trimming to fit a post 74 (presumably a Series II) in hopes he, or someone else may know. I am perfectly willing to engage in some trimming if the basic shape is correct but if the contour is totally different I'm unsure whether I'll have the skill set to massage them to fit if it involves a lot of work. Thoughts welcome.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 06:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
Someone may correct me here, but I do believe all SSI & SSII wheel arch arcs are the same.
It is only the flare applied to all post 74 Shadows that was different.

Here are some images for us all to compare.

Early SSI

SSII

Early SSI

SSII

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 06:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Nice post. I knew about the "flared arch" models but your pics demonstrate the difference very well.

I have always taken the view that the sill (rocker) chrome strip does not align with the center of the rear wheel on cars with the correct ride height. I reckon the correct line is 2" above the center of the rear hubcap.

l1

l2

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 06:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The flare being referred to is the more bold protrusion of the fender whilst the outline remains the same? Hence, these wouldn't fit Tootsie?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/83-Rolls-Royce-CHROME-FENDER-LINER-TRIM-SET-OF-4-/401130741985?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 07:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

The one on your link is for an SZ car or Silver Spirit. a different model.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 07:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Geoff,

Its good seeing these comparisons side by side.
Its just easy, As they say a picture speaks a thousand words.

Can you give mine the red line treatment please Geoff.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 08:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I'm using irfanview with the paint function. The diagonal red line comes out as a series of broken horizontal lines. Not great, but passable as a rough guide.

l3

l5

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another attempt, pushing the line a bit lower - it's hard to get any real precision.

l6

l7

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 08:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks mate,

Definitely above centre, so I'm very happy with that.

As I mentioned, park it on a slope, and it will roll/sag to that side for sure. Super soft springs I guess.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents another angle showing the flared guards.
(sorry to use a pic of my own car again)

Note the high rear ride height of the SSII

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: