Ride Height Settings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Ride Height Settings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 07:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Over the years, this forum has had many posts concerning how to check whether the ride height settings are correct for a Shadow.

Yesterday, I saw some excellent photos taken by Patrick Ryan which show the correct ride height for properly set front and rear suspension.

I would like to Photoshop the images to provide close-up detail of how a Shadow's ride height can be visually checked easily.

Patrick, would you please email me these images in the original off-camera file size for maximum resolution so I can crop the relevant observation points and mark them up to illustrate how the car's appearance can be used to verify if the ride height settings are correct. I will SMS my email address to you in case you do not have it on file - I can receive images up to 25MB by email. If the image file size is greater than this, I can send you a Dropbox or Google Drive folder for you to upload the images.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 968
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 07:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David.

Images on their way.

Did you want some sample images shown here?

David Gore

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 09:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No need - images received and I will Photoshop them this evening and post here.

David Gore

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 08:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My apologies for the delay in posting the photos as I have had some emergency property matters to attend to yesterday and today.

Hopefully, I will be able to process and post the images tomorrow night or over the weekend.

David Gore

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2017 - 08:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Did you get my phone message on Monday about the resolution of your images?

If not, would you please call me when convenient as I need to talk to you.

Thanks David

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 04:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Many pictures of the Shadows show them as being low at the back - at least at rest. Should the sill be absolutely parallel to the ground when the engine is running and the self levelling has activated?
Or does the level of the sills have nothing to do?
My Shadow 1 is within the limits of the workshop manual measurements, but still seems to have low hind quarters.

David Gore

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 07:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patricks 1 & 2,

Sorry for the extended delay as events have conspired against me. I have had ongoing problems with mobile broadband access at home in Sydney this week due to local base station overloading and connections being dropped with no signs of capacity being increased.

I am now at home in the country with a fixed line ADSL2 connection so I should not have further problems processing and posting Patrick Ryan's photos in the next day or two.

David Gore

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At long last - my apologies for the delay:-

159 Resize

Full Size View

161 Crop

Close Up Side On View

156 Crop

Front Quarter View

161 Crop

Rear Quarter View

166 Resize
Full Front View

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 01:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David and Patrick
Thanks for the combined effort and great photos.
I will be using my best endeavours to adjust my self levelling to get that look of a parallel sill to the ground.
I will then re measure the workshop manual limits and let you know what results I get!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let us all know your results Patrick.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 01:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I have read in a few places that at the correct ride height, if you rest your fingers on the top of the rear tire the back of your hand should just touch the wheelarch. When you get close to workshop manual limits, could you carry out this test. I'd like to verify if this "rule of thumb" is correct.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 09:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, that is a good guide. Make sure you have the right tyres on it though :-)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 06:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I notice that the sill trim is about level and the sill trim disects the wheel centres

David Gore

Post Number: 2435
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 08:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Also the same tyre pressure all round.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 09:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I carried out the finger test on the back suspension and as Geoff said it bang on.
Slide my hand under the guard and it's a tight to the top of the tyre.
They are 205/70R15 run at 28psi.

Out of interest, the body height is very critical based on where I park it. Flat garage for all good; for sideways tilted driveway, the tyre is well into the guard by about 10mm as it faces sideways downhill.

Just thought that was interesting, and I guess shows the softness of the springs off level ground.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 07:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that the starting point to acquire the right standing height for these cars is to start of with a new set of springs and an amount of shims to adjust to the required height.

Richard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 07:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A Harvey Bailey kit & dampers any day. Transforms these from boat to car :-)

205/70/15 Patrick?

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 07:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

MY 1980 SHADOW 11 WITH JUST 32K MILES HAS BUBBLE NEARLY IN CENTRE WITH SPIRIT LEVEL LONGWAYS ON BATTERY. IT MEASURES 26" ON REAR FROM FLOOR TO WHEEL ARCH AT CENTRE OF HUB. THE FRONTS ARE 27 AND 27 1/2" AGAIN FROM FLOOR TO WHEEL ARCH AT CENTRE OF HUB. LOOKS GOOD TO ME, SPENDT LOADS HOURS DOING STANDING HEIGHT IN DEALERSHIP IN 60/70s. AS SAID BEFORE THE FACTORY PRODUCED REALLY HELPFULL BULLETIN SY/H? TO ASSIST WITH SHIMS IN CAR/AGAINST WHAT WAS REQUIRED.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 09:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Paul,
215/75R15. Typo mate

Gordon,
My car is 26 1/2 at the rear and 28 at the front.
Flat floor measured at hub cap centres.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 09:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hope nobody rushed out and ordered the 70 size ones.

Cheaper but look terrible :-(

small

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I stuffed both sizes up there Paul.
Don't know how I did that.

But just to confirm 215/75R15

Those in the pics look unusual that's for sure.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car is also 27.5 inches from wheel arch to wheel centre.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 07:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm assuming that the measurements are taken while the gear selector has been set to park and after which the ignition has been switched off. Also, is it necessary to disconnect the height control valve levers from the sub-frame and pull them downwards to expel any hydraulic fluid from the rams before taking measurements? Regards, Larry.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 08:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just pulled up and took the pics Larry.
In park and hand brake on.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that info Patrick, I think my old girl's rear springs are getting weak but if she passes this test I'll leave well enough alone for another while. Your Silver Shadow looks stunning, the paint and chrome look flawless.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 05:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the kind words Larry.

Don't forget, they are a tad droopy in the bum compared to the front.

If she is a tad droopy but the ride is excellent, you can always put some packing shims under the springs.

But let's not get to close mate.

She's not a bad 10ft car.

She has a few warts on her that were noted in the build sheets in72.

Check them out in the original post of "photos of our cars"

Of course by now everyone knows what I use on my paint and chrome.
It works for me.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 06:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Larry.

The pic was not where I thought it was, but here is one of my cars blemishes. It was mentioned in the build sheets in 1971, of course was fixed, but surfaced in the 90's. Developed into this, but has not got worse since then.

The car also has some fine/minor cracking around the bottom of the A pillars where it meets the front wings/mud guards.

David Gore

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 06:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

These most probably are the notorious paint bubbles associated with the lead wiping used by RRMC to cover the sheet metal joins in the body shell.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 06:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

More than likely David.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 08:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat, going by these pics, your car sits perfectly mate, in my humble opinion. The sill strip imaginary line intersects *just* above the front/rear hubcap centrelines, easily seen in the rear quarter view. If you closely study RR's original promo photos, yours is the same.

I'm sounding like the stuck record, but the gloss/colour of your machine is awesome.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Nick,
It sits well on a flat surface, I'm just amazed how a tilted driveway or parking spot can make her look crooked or odd. But that the soft springs I guess.

Your car sits pretty nicely as well mate.

Thanks mate,
Check out my Mr Sheen Effect post I did tonight.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's a couple of similar paint bubbles on my front left wing which I had assumed were caused by careless spillage of brake fluid droplets but maybe it's the lead wiping problem described above. I can live with them.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 08:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

I'm proud of the cars marks that are also mentioned in the build sheets.
Every judge that has seen them, then sees the build sheet always nod with approval. It's never gone agains the cars score.

Above are some paint inspection pages from my build sheets.
Everywhere these pages show issues, the car eventually had these issues re surface over time.

The pin holes comment on the final inspection, is exactly where the cars warts are.

If you think the above is bad, and has to much info
Here are the rear view pages.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 09:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick, There's great minute detail in those build sheets, I hadn't realised they would produce so much information. I'd been toying with the idea of ordering build sheets for my old girl but now - having seen yours - I've concluded that I definitely must, your posts are much appreciated, Regards, Larry.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Larry,

Well worth it mate. Mine consists of over 40 pages and covers everything fitted to the car.

The engine pages are covered in greasy fingerprints as the guys assembling the engine signed off on the pages.

It came with the original order (dealer to Rolls Royce) plus what they ordered to be fitted to the car. The original warranty page & date of delivery.

If you want to check mine out I could email you the PDF.
Just let me know your email address.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 09:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I understand, 4 dr cars (apart from LWB) were built and painted at Crewe from bodies manufactured by Pressed Steel on another site. Long wheelbase were manufactured by sending standard wheelbase bodyshell down to London to MWP at Willesden, putting this on jig and cutting it in half and stretching it by 4" across rear footwell floor pan and sills in offset cut. I have actually seen this. Corniche shells were manufactured at same place, then sent up to Crewe for fitting of mechanical components and then shipped back to MPW
With all this, apart from the issues with Pressed Steel being owned by someone else and therefore quality control being outside Crewe's own control, it's no wonder there are PLENTY of notes on paint report! It can be seen that all the issues with lead at bottom of "A" post on (SY) Shadow was designed out on (SZ)Spirit by having NO joint that needed leading where screen post screen deck panel and front wing meet.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting points and observations Gordon.

These cars certainly give us plenty to do and contemplate.

Probably the most interesting car ever made.
They certainly keep our mind and body active.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 07:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the kind offer Patrick but there's really no need for you to go to the trouble. I'm about to get in touch with the RR Enthusiast's Club in the UK to place an order for SRH37125's build sheets, Regards, Larry.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 08:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This has prompted me to do the same. They will wonder why there is a sudden rush for build sheets.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 09:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done guys,

I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cheers Patrick. This is something I've been meaning to do for ages.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

I copied mine when I got it, then spiral bound it so its easy to hand to people to read.

If it gets messed up, I just print it again and re bind it.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 01:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I will scan mine to a pdf file when it arrives. I haven't got a spiral binding machine so no fancy hard copy for me. However I'm so used to reading from a screen I actually prefer it these days.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 01:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Geoff,
It can be much easier to see that is for sure.

Don't know about fancy LOL

I did all my paperwork, invoices & receipts supplied with the car this way.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 05:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff
It should not be too difficult to find a local office-goods shop that can spiral bind your documents.
Jonas

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 05:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick - that's a nice set of documents. A full tool kit as well.

Jonas - that's a good suggestion. I will check our local FedEx office - they offer these types of services.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 07:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Geoff,

The tool kit is still as new.

I use the tool on the sump plug for oil changes all the time.
The feeler gauges are correct as well, 1 marked plugs, 1 marked points.
Pliers marked "Rolls Royce" and the genuine Lucas Girder" adjustable spanner.

We have a number of places in Sydney that do this type of spiral binding, it takes just a few minutes, and just a couple of bucks.

I've done some for other club members docs as well.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Friday, 10 March, 2017 - 09:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I ordered the build sheets for my car 2 weeks ago. Still waiting - lol. I emailed them after a week (last Friday) and they said there had been technical difficulties but they would now get them out straightaway. Still waiting. My account hasn't even been debited yet. I wonder if Larry has received his yet.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Friday, 10 March, 2017 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do remember they were slow mate.

I wasn't debited until about 2 weeks after I received them.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Friday, 10 March, 2017 - 01:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Thanks for letting me know that. I will give it another week before sending another reminder. The thing is, it will take 10 days for the build sheets to get here through the post. A month in total. It's just like the good old days. I think I would prefer modern methods; scan the debit card and receive a pdf file a few minutes later via email. I guess Hunt House are doing it the traditional way.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Friday, 10 March, 2017 - 06:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Exactly what I thought when I ordered mine Geoff.

Snail mail is yesterday man lol

You're lucky, because it took me 3 months to at first get a reply, to my request for the build sheets to begin with.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 09:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff, I haven't ordered mine yet, Larry

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, 12 March, 2017 - 07:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seem to remember one of the ladies went off to have a baby I think, left them short staffed?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: