Engine Bay with Intact Front Height C... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Engine Bay with Intact Front Height Control « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 06:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've had a lot of private correspondence with Mr. Beech as he's working his way through SRX6816. Just today he shared with me a photo of the engine bay which, other than being quite impressive for its cleanliness, is actually the only photo I believe I've ever seen that shows an intact and functioning front height control system. So, with his permission, I am posting same so that if anyone ever encounters a car, either with a running front height control setup or one that's been disabled, but not deleted, they might know what it is they're seeing.

Engine Bay with Front Height Control

By the way, I also don't think I've ever seen the thing at the center of the air intake trunk that's just beneath where the flame trap breather tube attaches, that's silver, and appears to have mild steel tubing like brake line (but it can't actually be brake line) going into and out of it. What on earth is that thing?

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 823
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 01:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a magnificent engine bay John.

This car is so original it's a real piece of reference material for so many people around the world.

The only thing better than a time capsule, is a Rolls Royce time capsule.

A real credit to you John.

Good on you for posting the pic Brian.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 824
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 01:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not to often you see a dizzy cover.

I don't know if my car (SRH12255) is meant to have one or not.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 05:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is interesting that this was deleted around 7000 series chassis no. The deletion bulletin instructed to blank some pipes off, insert a half in spacer in each front ram to set ram travel midway as it was only one inch and remove link from front height control valve to anti roll bar.
I believe this was a precursor to full deletion and introduction of long stroke dampers as the early cars with height control suffered from damper noise (known as bubble) caused by premature wear in dampers due to excessive side loading on damper bushes. This was cured by intro, of long stroke dampers. The shroud around dizzy was to aid radio suppression. The pipe into intake was emission? but never fitted to UK cars.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 06:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I forgot to mention that the roll restrictor valve situated in front of nsf spring tower was blanked as well. This valve was to prevent fluid being pushed from one front ram to other side as car was drive through sweeping bend or around roundabout. The weight/loading, say on right hand turn would put all weight on nsf ram, trying to push any fluid out and of course osf ram would have reverse loading as that wheel would be trying to lift,

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 03:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just because this thread is a great place to put this for future searchers, front height control was deleted at chassis number 7404 in August 1969.

See: Chassis Number & Production Changes through SY Series, PDF page 32, publication page number 28.

Brian

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 05:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon, when you refer to 'dampers', are we speaking about what in America we call shock absorbers? I've noticed in Brian's cross-over list there are new part numbers and I now wonder if these will still be applicable to Tootsie since she has the functioning front height control? Does anyone know . . . Brian?

I wouldn't think a 1" difference in spring travel (what I understand blanking the ride height control system off means in practical terms) would matter in the least in my car because it's dampening the springs so fitting the longer travel shocks shouldn't matter, but who knows for sure? Not me.

Opinions welcome with the clear understanding they're worth every penny I've paid ;>)

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 06:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, you may have seen this already http://www.flyingspares.com/uploads/Instructions-2/Service%20Bulletin%20-%20Longer%20Front%20Shock%20Dampers.pdf .
If the short strokes are past their best, then a longstroke Bilstein setup with stiffer anti roll bars transforms handling.This may not be so noticeable in the USA, as the country is not joined together with minor twisty roads ( motorways are usually at a standstill in the UK !)
On such a beautiful original car however, I would be very reluctant to modify anything , just conserve the original. I love originality .
Mark

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 07:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes- dampers are same as shock absorbers. The 1" ram travel does not affect the spring travel, as it only job was to lift the body off the spring once the spring has compressed by adding weight to the car. The rams job was/is to then level up the body. Having thought further about my recent post, I remember that the Factory realized that the front height did not alter very much as load was added, it was all over the rear suspension, with fuel/passengers. Flying Spares (UK) list short stroke shock absorbers/dampers at £500 each. Introcar (UK) list either original at £484 or Prestige Parts alternative at £335 each.(plus of course shipping/import taxes) I have always found that the easiest way to navigate the parts list, was to start at the END (highest) chassis number in a section and work backwards. Hope this clarifies things a bit.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2017 - 01:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben Curtis
Experienced User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, 04 March, 2017 - 01:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was watching the video of this car for sale, looks like the height control is in tact?

http://www.arunltd.com/rolls-royce-silver-shadow-series-1-in-west-sussex-6134752

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: