2-stage braking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » 2-stage braking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Within two other threads a sub-thread regarding braking developed, which deserved its own thread. In one of these, Brian wrote about Tootsie's 2-stage braking, in part . . .

"When I was trying to find the post where Richard Treacy talked about the "two stage braking" issue and air in the system, as SRH33576 was having that issue and he was advising me at the time, I could not find it [but I know it's here somewhere, I just don't know the magic search terms]. What I did find, though, was a thread entitled, DOT 3 Castrol RR363 Brake Fluid (http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/54.html), which took quite a few interesting drifts over its life and a great many posts were by well-respected folks, some still frequently here and others not."

In another, Geoff suggested the possibility of a collapsing hose. Since all 18 hoses have been replaced in recent memory (2010) as part of a thorough brake systems rehabilitation (and at a substantial expense), which included one (and possibly both) accumulators, I'm doubtful this is the cause.

To recap, I've noticed whilst driving Tootsie that application of the brakes result in modest braking until more vigorous actuation of the brake pedal results in a distinctly greater amount of braking. Not dangerous but not linear.

In essence, Brian is suggesting air in the system (compressibility) as the prime factor and as soon as I complete installation of my 2-post lift (so that I may better access Tootsie's undersides) this is high on the agenda of investigation. That, along with recharging the accumulators which the pump test reveals are low, in hopes this issue disappears. It has also been suggested this may be an issue of adjusting the linkage within the rat box because Tootsie (SRX6816) has the master cylinder system as well. I dunno.

John, who has largely refrained from driving Tootsie because of this issue and doesn't have access to another SY for purposes of driving to compare the feel.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, it does sound like air, there is a delay so you overcompensate and press the pedal further, then the air is compressed and the brakes come on suddenly.

A fluid flush and bleed usually resolves current delay problems and prevents many future problems.

Flush bleed with DOT 4 then drain the reservoirs and fill with RR363 Much more efficient financially. DO Give the suspension a bleed afterwards so RR363 is in the HCVs and rams.

The brake calipers don't need RR363 in them so that bit is up to you.

Good luck with her :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: