Carburetor balancing tools Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Carburetor balancing tools « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2016 - 09:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

Kelly has sent me 2 collars and dial gauges for my HD8 carbs. These are the carbs fitted to the "series 1" pre 1976 cars. Needless to say the collars are beautifully machined and fit perfectly.

g1

g2

g3

What I really like, apart from the greater precision over the air flow meter I was previously using, is their ease of use. It's just a case of removing the carburetor dampers, screwing on the collars and fitting the dial gauges. The problem with the air flow meter was having to remove both U shaped air ducts that are bolted to the mouths of the carbs - a real hassle as some of the bolts are difficult to access.

So, a great tool in my inventory and fantastic value at the cost. I'm delighted with it. Big big thanks to Kelly.

Geoff

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2016 - 02:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Props to Geoff for being the prototype test subject. I knew the threads were right (because I have the same carbs) but I needed Geoff's help because A. He has a running car and B. He is in the U.S.
For all those who expressed interest, I'll put a post in the "for sale" section.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2016 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Superb, Kelly, just superb! Well done.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 03:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly - such a star...........
and Geoff for the assist...

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 04:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, now we're into the "pardon my ignorance" territory for me.

What do those gauges measure and how do they measure it?

I had thought it was vacuum pressure (or inverse of pressure) but I wouldn't think that would involve the long stems that are shown in the picture that protrude from the base of the gauge.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 04:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

brass or aluminium could be used for the screw in carb adapters.

Steel goes rusty and stainless can be hard to machine.

The damper rod is fit to lots of brit stuff so a couple of used damper rods could be machined to fit a dial gauge.

digital DTIs can be difficult read in pairs and analogue gauges are cheap used so just glue the adapter to the DTI permanently.

make a wooden box for safe storage.

The dial gauge method is easier than the power balance check method but no harm in full 8 cylinder power balance as well.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 04:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, they measure the rise of the carb pistons. You can check if both carbs are in balance by the readings on the gauges. The rise of the pistons causes those long stems to compress

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 04:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Thanks. I figured that out after having read the "For Sale" ad for the kit.

Makes perfect sense, I'd just not seen these gauges pictured when not in use before and they do something different than I'd presumed.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: